xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] ED: Editor with good DocBook support

A great thing about OpenOffice (besides it being free and open source)
is that it exports to .doc, .pdf, and even pretty good .html.  Also, its
internal document format *is* XML.

Also, Emacs has an excellent XML editing mode called nXML
http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=2061

Here's a wiki page on DocBook Authoring Tools:
http://www.docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookAuthoringTools