xdi message

Subject: [no subject]

1) Our prototypical use cases form a well-defined set similar to those that
SAML, XAMCL, and other architectural-solution-driven TCs. Once this was
clear from our review of the SAML 1.0 Use Case and Requirements document, it
didn't take us more than two hours to distill the 4-6 prototypical use cases
from our much larger collection of candidates. Communicating these in our
UCR will go a long ways towards making the essence of XDI easier to
understand.

2) The XDI specifications should be modular and designed for composability.
Like XRIs, the XDI metaschema may have other uses outside of XDI as a
service, so it should be a standalone spec. So too should the XDI service
definition and the XDI service dictionary.

3) It may be both easier and better not to specify a direct SOAP binding.
Although a surprising proposal at first, the potential to instead specify
profiles how XDI is used with other SOAP frameworks such as Liberty Alliance
and WS-* could both save us work and make XDI adoption easier. This will be
further researched by Dave McAlpin and Peter Davis.

4) We are relatively close to achieving consensus on an XDI metaschema
proposal. Although it is too early to tell how large the remaining issues
are, our gut feeling was that they will not take long to work out. Nat
Sakimura and I will try to drive these issues to closure.

5) We are confident that the XDI 1.0 specifications can be completed to the
Committee Draft stage by the end of October. This positions us to announce
that milestone at the Digital ID World trade show.

6) Interop events are a powerful way to both prove and evangelize XDI, and
we should begin planning them soon. Given OASIS's guidance that they take 6
months or more to plan, we should start looking at opportunities for our
first XDI interop in early 2005.

Lastly but certainly not least, I just want to say this TC is a wonderful
set of folks to work with. If only all standards work could be this much
fun.

I look forward to our next opportunity to meet in person (which we concluded
would probably be in the early fall).

=Drummond