xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Prototypical use case attempt: Registration

Here's the way I see it (which is all in terms of XRI synonyms, mind you).

Any registry at any level that wants to be able to track an XDI account
separate from the e-names registered to resolve to that account will issue
an e-number for the account. Thanks to XRI cross-referencing, that e-number
can then be used in the context of any other registry or XSP to identify
that account (simply by cross-referencing it under their own e-name(s) or
e-number(s)).

The global registry services will almost certainly follow this policy
because that's what we're going to propose to XDI.ORG.

Therefore the scenario when doing a global e-name resolution request with
the global registry will be as follows:

1) global e-name is resolved to
2) global e-number which is resolved to
3) current URI registered for that global e-number.

In the case of an individual in the Identity Commons model, this current URI
will point to the registrant's XDI account at whatever data broker a
user/organization has selected to be their home data broker for that e-name.

Note that this means if a user/organization wants to register multiple
global e-names, the user/organization has the option of resolving them to
the SAME XDI account or to DIFFERENT XDI accounts. This may be confusing to
the user/organization, but it's essentially the same thing as registering a
second domain name and having it point to a) an existing website, or b) a
new website.

Thus these options must be accounted for in the registration scenarios,
i.e., there must be scenarios for:

1) Registering a global E-NUMBER and the corresponding URI for the XDI
resource (such as an XDI account) to which it resolves.

2) Registering a global E-NAME and pointing it at the global e-number to
which it resolves.

3) Doing 1 and 2 at the SAME TIME, to make it easy for registrants.

4) Registering a SECOND (or Nth) global e-number (i.e., repeating 1, but for
a new XDI resource, such as a second and completely independent XDI
account).

5) Registering a SECOND (or Nth) global e-name (i.e., repeating 2, but
pointing it at the selected e-number, which could be anything registered in
1 or 4).

6) Doing 4 and 5 at the SAME TIME, to make it easy for registrants.

=Drummond