xdi message

Subject: RE: [XRIXDI] RE: [xdi] Prototypical use case attempt: Registration

Victor,

I agree. The way I think about it is that Registries by definition assign
e-numbers and e-names as requested by Registrants. Registrars only
facilitate these transactions. However a Registrar is itself almost
certainly a Registrant (i.e., it has it's own e-number(s) and e-name(s)
assigned by a Registry(s) with whom the Registrar does business), and the
Registrar may also run a Registry in which it in turn assigns delegate
e-numbers and e-names.

So it's turtles all the way down ;-)

But in their respective roles, it should always be Registries as the
authorities assigning the e-numbers or e-names. The key difference is that
the Registry will most like assign e-numbers automatically per request (such
as serially), whereas the opposite is true of e-names, the vast majority of
which will be selected by the Registrant.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Grey [mailto:victor@customdynamic.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 9:00 AM
To: Fen Labalme
Cc: Drummond Reed; 'XDI TC'; xrixdi@idcommons.net

Thanks Fen. Your comments mirror my understanding perfectly. The
central question at hand seems to be whether we are going to architect
a system in which Registrars are e-number registries in their own
right. It would be a simpler system, imho, to keep the e-number
namespace responsibilities centralized in each registry (of which there
may be many, each defining a sub-namespace). Is there anything to be
gained by delegating e-number namespace authority to the Registrar? My
preference is to keep the registry and Registrar roles distinct.

-Victor