xdi message

Subject: RE: Information on the UDEF - semantic equivalency mechanism

John,

Thank you very much for contacting the OASIS XDI TC. We have been aware of
the UDEF effort for some time but have not known about the particular
details of recent activity.  There are many fascinating intersections
between the XDI Dataweb vision and how it proposes to accomplish "semantic
equivalency" and the UDEF effort, so it very helpful to have a current set
of pointers to UDEF resources.

The XDI TC is in the middle of its use cases and requirements phase and
expects to start work on design in early summer. We should review the UDEF
work closely at that juncture.

In the meantime, let me give you a new link to the XDI Dataweb white paper,
as there has been one revision since the first version in January:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/6434/wd-xdi-intro-white-pa
per-2004-04-12.pdf

This would be the single best document for UDEF team members to review to
understand the Dataweb model and the proposed XRI/XDI approach to semantic
equivalency. It would be very helpful to use to understand how you would
recommend UDEF fit into this model.

If there is strong synergy, we could also investigate developing a formal
liason, as we have done with the OASIS SAML and XACML TCs, the Trusted
Computing Group, and the ISTPA (www.istpa.org).

Again, thank you for getting in touch with us, and I look forward to
exploring this together.

=Drummond
206.364.0992 office
206.618.8530 cell