xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Resource type representation

Treating both attributes of a resource as "first class objects" as well as the attribute *type* as a "first class object" (i.e. as resources identified by XRIs as well) is precisely what RDF (http://www.w3.org/RDF) does. I've mentioned this to Drummond before in private, and I've seen he's compared XDI to RDF on paper (don't recall exactly where), but its something to consider, as the base from which to build the expression of the relationships between the various entities being discussed.

Being RDFifized (or even OWLified) could produce some interesting exposures to semantic web and other architectures, tools and technologies and kickstart XDI interest.

Just a thought from an "active observer"..

	-Gabe

gwachob@visa.com
Chief Systems Architect
Technology Strategies and Standards
Visa International
Phone: +1.650.432.3696   Fax: +1.650.554.6817

-----Original Message-----
From: Loren West [mailto:loren.west@epok.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 8:59 AM
To: xdi@lists.oasis-open.org

If we had a 'type' attribute of the <resource>, it would need
to contain an URI to the XSD of <resource> itself.

It could be called 'xditype', but we would still have the
problem of "many types" (or "sub types" as you've pointed out).

You can (and probably will) still put the XSD type in the "type"
attribute of the <data> element, and/or the sub-elements of <data>
for efficient processing.  XDI isn't as much for efficiency as
expressiveness (IMO).

Drummond is working on a proposal that has us putting ALL
metadata about the <data> element within sub <resource> elements.
That won't be highly efficient, but it will allow us to be
highly expressive.  Aside from addressing metadata, probably
all metadata (including typing information) could be represented
as <resource> elements within the enclosing <resource>.

=Loren