xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Beating the RDF drum

Hi Gabe -

Good to have another fan of RDF on the list!  Here's part of a note I recently
sent to some Identity Commons developers regarding one very low impact way to
get XRI and link contracts into the RDF/FOAF (Friend of a Friend) community:

=============
FOAF uses the mbox field as a primary key.  Here's a super-simple FOAF record:

<foaf:Person>
   <foaf:name>Fen Labalme</foaf:name>
   <foaf:mbox rdf:resource="mailto:fen@idcommons.net"; />
   <foaf:nick >fen</foaf:nick>
   <foaf:workplacehomepage rdf:resource="http://fen.net/"; />
   <foaf:depiction
     rdf:resource="http://www.fen.net/images/fen_200306_114x160.jpg"; />
   <foaf:knows>
     <foaf:Person>
       <foaf:mbox rdf:resource="mailto:owen@idcommons.net"; />
       <foaf:name>Owen Davis</foaf:name>
     </foaf:Person>
   </foaf:knows>
</foaf:Person>

Note that one thing being done to increase security is to us the SHA1 hash of
the email address instead of the actual email address, so that connections can
still be made without giving away a person's actual email address.  But this
is only one level of indirection, as anyone who has a large address book (I
have about 500 technology folk in my address book - I'm sure Marc Canter and
Joi Ito have many more!) can easily map the SHA1 hashes to actual email addresses.

Other keys can be used by various aggregators and bots, but imagine if instead
of putting all this data out publicly, the "mailto:"; schema in the mbox field
was replaced with "xri:" and pointed to an e-name, access to which was
governed by a personal e-broker.  This requires ZERO modification to the FOAF
protocol while immediately offering the full capabilities of XRI/XDI/Data
Brokers and Link Contracts (which, admittedly, doesn't really exist except in
theory, yet).

But it's a compelling story!

Fen