xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Rationale for pursuing Dataweb architecture

There are couple of points/questions that I would like to make here:

(1)  Business Card Examples:
Looking at the Business Card Examples, I see that it has come
very close to what we have talked over the f2f. Only the deviation
from what we have discussed there are:

(a) Tag names: What it was called  <data> or <body> at f2f is
     changed to <complex> etc.
(b) Introduction of <Instance> tag: What is the use for it?
      I would appreciate an explanation of it.
(c) Meta data part are not enclosed in <meta> or <header> tag.

(2) Dictionary
Google does not use a dictionary. It is a string indexing.
Neither OpenText does. If it relies on dictionary, it would not
be able to search for new concepts, new words, new languages.
No reliance on the dictionary was the strength of Google.

I do not want XDI to be relying on a dictionary in the sense
it is referred to here. It would be a huge hindrance. We could
use Dictionary, but not require it.

(3) Proliferation of HTML.
One of the biggest factor for HTML proliferation was its
astounding simplicity at the outset. One could trivially
write a page with merely a notepad. Subsequently, HTML
gained substantial complexity, but I believe that the
simplicity at the outset was the key. The same is true for
HTTP. Once could write a HTTPD trivially.

Nat