OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

xdi message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Action items from today's call & agenda items for next week's call

I was able to make today's call, which was highly productive yet only lasted
an hour (the busier you are, the more you get done).

One key conclusion is that we WILL submit a proposal for the OASIS Symposium
(see forwarded message below). Bill Barnill and myself volunteered to help
prepare the proposal. Any other volunteers, please let me know. We will
discuss the proposed presentation further on next week's call, then the
volunteer team will write it up and submit it.

Following are the other action items assigned and the agenda items agreed to
for next week's call.

ACTION ITEMS (due before next week's call)

* Drummond and Bill to submit a basic outline of the proposed OASIS
Symposium presentation.

* Dave to upload a proposal for the Enveloped schema (as a standalone
schema) together with a table-format analysis of its elements.

* Drummond to do the same for the Schema-Independent schema.

* Bill to take a second pass at the delegated data sharing use case in the
UCR document.


* Discuss the OASIS Symposium presentation.

* Discuss and agree on a gameplan for finishing the UCR.

* Discuss the analyses of the Envelope Schema and Schema-Independent schema
with a goal towards identifying what are overlapping elements and what are


-----Original Message-----
From: Drummond Reed [mailto:drummond.reed@cordance.net] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 4:04 PM
To: 'XDI TC'
Cc: jane.harnad@oasis-open.org
Subject: [xdi] FW: [members] OASIS Symposium - Call for Participation
Deadline Approaching

XDI TC Members and Observers:

Please look over this Call for Participation for next April's OASIS
Symposium. I have already had several TC members email me to say we
obviously should submit a presentation about the XDI model for vocabulary
and data sharing, but I wanted to:

1) Make sure this is the consensus of the TC,
2) See who may be specifically interested in being part of the presentation
team, and
3) Agree on a workplan for the presentation submission (due by Dec. 13).

Although I am still not sure if I can attend today's unofficial call, it
would be ideal if those on the call can start this discussion today.


-----Original Message-----
From: Jane Harnad [mailto:jane.harnad@oasis-open.org] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 9:01 AM
To: announce@lists.oasis-open.org; members@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [members] OASIS Symposium - Call for Participation Deadline

OASIS Symposium: The Future of XML Vocabularies
24-29 April 2005
New Orleans Marriott 


Successful business integration effectively relies on agreement between
parties on the vocabularies that define the messages they exchange.
Several OASIS committees are working to define the schema and semantics
of vocabularies exchanged in specific industry-vertical domains. Other
efforts, including the OASIS UBL Technical Committee, OAGIS and the
UN/CEFACT Core Components Working Group, are defining vocabularies
intended for cross-industry use. 

No business community operates in isolation, however, and as more
industries recognize the necessity of standardizing documents amongst
their immediate trading partners, it becomes essential to expand these
networks. Consumers and suppliers in adjacent verticals must be able to
share best practices and methods of encouraging favorable development.

OASIS invites proposals for talks, panel sessions and tutorials on
topics related to the development or use of business vocabularies,
including but not limited to: 

1. The challenges in developing domain-specific vocabularies in an
increasingly cross-industry, cross-language, and cross-border
world: How are domain-specific vocabulary development groups dealing
with investment protection via schema extensibility and/or versioning,
component reuse, schema co-constraints, business validation rules, and
management policies?

2. The challenges in developing cross-industry vocabularies and
component dictionaries such as OASIS UBL, OAGI, UN/CEFACT Core
Components, and RosettaNet: What relevance, if any, do they have to
other domain-specific vocabulary development initiatives?

3. The continued relevance of the various initiatives to develop
industry-specific vocabularies: What connections are or should there be
to other domain-specific vocabulary development initiatives?

4. "Best practices" for the development of domain-specific vocabularies:
How should these evolve in the context of GRID computing, distributed
management, choreography, and business processes?

5. The challenges of developing and using cross-industry syntax and
vocabularies in B2B Web services and the dependencies on common business

6. The application of business process rules and policies in the
implementation of XML vocabularies in both domain-specific and
cross-industry efforts: How could the OASIS WSBPEL TC and other
committees make use of different domain-specific XML vocabularies?

7. The benefit of mapping semantic reasoning technology, e.g., the W3C
OWL-S (Web Ontology Language) and RDF (Resource Description Framework),
between dissimilar domain-specific XML vocabularies: How can we apply
these technologies to the mapping and interoperability issues?

8. The need for and impact of internationalizing and localizing XML
vocabularies: How could XML vocabularies and multi-lingual technical
dictionaries enable dual language, cross-border electronic trade? How
does the mapping between different industries, governing rules, and
languages drive future work?

The Program Committee is particularly interested in proposals that
identify the need for new activities to create or advance
domain-specific and/or general-use vocabularies. 

Proposals related to current specification work, i.e., efforts underway
within OASIS TCs or other standards bodies, should emphasize the
development, usage, application, deployment, and interoperability
aspects, and future considerations, as opposed to merely summarizing the
specification work.


The program committee invites submissions of proposals for a
presentation, panel discussion, or tutorial that addresses the future of
XML vocabularies. The program committee may adapt or restructure
proposals submitted to ensure an interesting and technically compelling

Presentations should be 40 minutes long including question and answer
time. Sessions will consist of related presentations, ending with a
question-and-answer session directed to the presenters.  

Panel sessions should be 60 minutes long. Proposals for panels should
include the topic, three to four potential panelists (name and/or role)
and proposed format (e.g. Q&A, short presentations). 

Tutorials should be half-day sessions. Tutorial proposals should state
intended audience and learning objectives. 

OASIS will publish online proceedings of the Symposium. Authors should
arrange any necessary releases for publication prior to submitting

To submit a proposal, please go to the event Web site at
http://www.oasis-open.org/events/symposium_2005/.  Submission guidelines
and online form are available. 

All submissions will be acknowledged.


Proposals Due		13 December 2004
Notification		Starting 21 January 2005
Materials Due		4 April 2005
Symposium			25-26 April 2005

The OASIS Annual General Meeting for Members and OASIS Technical
Committee meetings will be held in New Orleans immediately following the
Symposium. All OASIS members are strongly encouraged to attend these

For further information, comments, and questions, send email to

This email list is used solely by OASIS for official consortium
communications. Opt-out requests may be sent to
member_services@oasis-open.org, however, all members are strongly
encouraged to maintain a subscription to this list.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]