xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] [wiki] Editor names

Hi William,

The OASIS IT team has been investigating this issue and unfortunately
have not been able to resolve to it. I have been the main engineer on
the wiki project and have been in constant touch, via IRC, with the moin
folks to try and figure this out. But, again we have hit roadblocks
there as well. MoinMoin is written in python which none of the personnel
at OASIS have much experience in but we are in the process of learning it.

Here is what we have so far;

1. The optimal solution is to just pass the user name from the HTTP auth
session into moin. We have been able to semi-successfully accomplish
that via the wiki logs. But, we can not get that info in the log
displayed in the wiki. The wiki seems to be stuck on using "user_id"
which does not get created using this method.

2. The second option is to apply an "auto-account" patch which takes the
HTTP_auth info and automatically creates a MoinMoin account with
user_id. We applied this patch and it seems to work but breaks other
things. The patch seems to break open (userless, anonymous) read only.
Python errors out because the name=NONE. If we can get the open
read-only to work then this solution could be feasible. The negative
parts of this solution is having a Moin user database where one is not
needed nor wanted.

3. The last option is what we are doing now. Having the ip_address show
and reconciling the logs for a name if problems arise. But, this
involves my team getting involved where we would prefer not to.

If you or anybody you know has experience with python and is willing to
donate some expertise I would be open for that.

--
Rob Figenbaum
Manager of Technology Services