xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Dollar word proposed for data types-$data

My counter proposal is that everything you say is good except that I think it should be on $data not on $type. It seems to me if we aren't going to coin a phrase that is explicitly $datatype that what we are talking about is specifying a constraint, or rule, about the $data. Rules about $type are defined in the dictionary.

Andy Dale
ooTao

Phone: 877-213-7935
Fax: 877-213-7935

i-name: =Andy.Dale
http://public.xdi.org/=andy.dale

If you don't have your iName yet use this link:

  http://2idi.com/registrar/index.html?referral_code=ootao

"Drummond Reed" <drummond.reed@cordance.net>

06/29/2005 08:59 PM

<xdi@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [xdi] Dollar word proposed for data types-$type

Cool idea. $type is already one of our "default dollar words" by virtue of
being one of the XDI schema elements. And at first blush this seems like a
good use of it. I also like the idea of making the fragment identifiers in
the W3C Schema Datatypes spec the default.

I also suggest we go with true hierarchy, i.e., slash. This is what we did
with $l in the XRI Metadata spec - slash delineates the instances of the
type, whereas * delegates to subtypes. For example with $l, the immediate
children (i.e., if there is no delegated *name after $l) are defined to be
two-letter language tags from (I forget the name of the RFC - see the spec
at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/11854/xri-metadata-V2.0-cd
-01.pdf). For example:

                $l/en                                  for English
                $l/fr                                  for French

So with the $type space, we would specify (in the Service Dictionary spec)
that the default child namespace under $type is the set of fragment
identifier in the W3C Schema datatypes spec.

                $type/string
                $type/float

Then you could extend type definition to any other namespace as follows:

                $type*(=foo/mytypes)/custom.type

Sure meets the simplicity test. Thoughts?

=Drummond