xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Link Contract Document

The doc looks interesting. At first blush I'll note a few things:

1. The details on policy representation are interesting, but I'd be against creating our own schema when we can reuse an existing one that's further along in the standards process..be it XACML or something else. I will flesh out my ideas on a XACML/DSA union and distill them into a posted doc before the next telecon. I'm also still wondering if there's a benefit to leveraging xlink, combined with XACML, in here somewhere.

2. I LIKE the idea of steering clear of link contracts as a term. Jamie Clark was the one that first sent up a flag on this and I think his points still very valid, contract denotes enforceable and legally binding, which a digital document in itself cannot be right now. Agreement is a softer term, but conveys the same basic meaning, so I'd propose we adopt Andy's DSA (Data Sharing Agreement) as the std term for what we've referred to as a Link Contract.

3. I think we need a set of XDI authorization services that encapsulate policy retrieval, policy update, and policy enforcement and I'd like those services (and others) to be as xri-centric (x-centric ?) as possible. There seems to be a correlation between REST urls and a DataWeb version of REST that uses XRIs. A very rough example of which is the policy retrieval mechanism I mentioned in the previous email, where you create an XRI from a $policy template that combines the i-name of the subject, the action, and the target of the action.  This XRI would return a policy fragment in the schema we adopt, such as XACML or whatever.

4. I don't like the idea of treating the XDI resources controlled as attributes of a DSA, or even of the DSA that expresses the controlling policy being an attribute of the resource being controlled. For me the policy is an attribute of an arc between the accessor's i-name and the resource being acted on. There could be multiple arcs, one for each type of action, or one overall access arc.  I'd also suggest giving some though to the distinction of policy control based on i-name versus policy control based on i-number. For example, a person may have rights to data they access while wearing a particular hat and an org may need to make it clear that they only have access to that data when they are representing that community by accessing that data using that's communities i-name.  Essentially they can only access the data while using the org's resources, which has legal ramifications and could be very important.

More thoughts later,

=Bill.Barnhill

From: ad@ootao.com [mailto:ad@ootao.com]
Sent: Wed 11/9/2005 9:02 PM
To: Drummond Reed
Cc: 'XDI TC'; Geoffrey Strongin; Owen Davis; Robin Cover

Sorry about the confusion folks... I have deleted the Link Contract document with the privacy statement  (twice) and uploaded one with it stripped.

I will try not to do it again :-)

Andy Dale
ooTao

Phone: 877-213-7935
Fax: 877-213-7935

i-name: =Andy.Dale
http://public.xdi.org/=andy.dale

If you don't have your iName yet use this link:

  http://2idi.com/registrar/index.html?referral_code=ootao

"Drummond Reed" <drummond.reed@cordance.net>

11/09/2005 06:24 PM

<ad@ootao.com>, "'XDI TC'" <xdi@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [xdi] Link Contract Document

Thank you, Andy. All OASIS XDI TC document repositories are public, so effectively the information is public now anyway. But it is always best to remove any "proprietary and confidential" notices priort to posting if you can.

Thanks,

=Drummond