xdi message

Subject: Question about Trusted Resolution

Drummond and Gabe,

I have a question.

On today's XRI TC we discussed SAML trusted resolution and its relationship
to, given an i-name, discovering its public key in such a way that I can
trust the public key.

It was suggested that it would be a smart thing for ooTao implementations
not to use SAML Trusted Resolution but to introduce a VeriSign-rooted
certificate hierarchy that parallels the XRI authority hierarchy for
delegated authorities. Each delegated authority would have its on Cert.

This may be a good mechanism to ensure that the public key I get back for
@ootao*andy is not spoofed, but I'm still using HTTPS (not SAML) Trusted
Resolution to get back the SEP URI for @ootao*andy's OpenID service (and all
other services, including something that might even be a "key service".)

(I'm pretty sure that Gabe brought up this same or a related point during
the call.)

Here's the question: If I trust HTTPS Trusted Resolution to get the URI for
@ootao*andy's OpenID service, why shouldn't I trust HTTPS Trusted Resolution
to get back the public key for @ootao*andy?

Thx,

~ Steve