xdi message

Subject: Bill's suggestions

Bill,

Thanks for the very helpful analysis of the RDF predicate mapping of the 5
RDFX verbs. Paul Trevithick sent me a note with a similar analysis and I
believe identical conclusions (we need time to study them closely).

I also think that "as" is a brilliant suggestion as the English equivalent
of the $data predicate. I kept wondering about that one and you nailed it on
the head.

See my next message about the recurring question of naming of the five
predicates.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Barnhill, William [mailto:barnhill_william@bah.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 2:11 PM
To: xdi@lists.oasis-open.org; xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xri] RE: [xdi] Re: [xri] Agenda: Joint XRI & XDI TC Telecon 4pm PT
Thursday 2007-02-08

I won't be able to attend the telecon, but wanted to post some thoughts
on the RDFX doc:

It would make seeing the RDF fidelity easier if the five root RDFX
predicates table contains a column that maps to the equivalent RDF
predicate, specifically:

Predicate		English	Relationship	RDF style Predicate
$ref			"is"		equivalence
owl:equivalentClass
$ref$object		"is a"	inheritance		rdf:type (if
subj is an object, owl:class otherwise)
$link			"has"		aggregation
exns:hasXXX, where XXX is the property name specified within the link
XRI
$link$object	"has a"	composition		exns:xxx, where xxx is
the property type specified within the link XRI
$data			""		datatype
rdf:parseType

I'd also suggest an English phrase for data: "as", ex: "as String"
But..is $data meant to represent actual data, or the datatype? Put
another way, what is the relationship of
	@example+foo$data
	@example+foo//

Exns is the prefix for a domain-specific namespace.

On the 3 col graph, I like it, though I'd like to see it bigger to
labelling is clearer.

On tightening the XRI syntax within the schema there's a fairly easy way
that makes it clear, and doesn't impose a further burden on
implementers, but does allow them to do automated checking if they want:
use schematron extensions within the schema.

Bill

--
William Barnhill                    Phone: (315) 491-6765
Associate                           Email: barnhill_william@bah.com