xdi message

Subject: Minutes:Joint XRI & XDI TC Telecon 10AM PT Thursday 2007-03-21

Following are the minutes of the joint unofficial telecon of the XRI and XDI
TCs at:

Date:  Thursday, 21 March 2007 USA
Time:  10:00AM - 12:00PM Pacific Time

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial joint call of the XRI and XDI Technical Committees.

ATTENDING

Steve Churchill
Gabe Wachob
Drummond Reed
Wil Tan
Les Chasen

AGENDA

1) REMINDER TO REGISTER FOR THE OASIS SYMPOSIUM AND XRI/XDI F2F MEETING

Hotel and registration discount deadlines are NOW! See

	http://www.oasis-open.org/events/symposium/2007/index.php

2) CATALINA FRAMEWORK FOR MANAGING DIGITAL ITEMS

Giovanni Bartolomeo sent a message to the list this week about a new project
he and his colleagues are engaged in that can very effectively use XDI:

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/200703/msg00012.html

item:

# GIOVANNI to send more details to the email list about the Catalina project
and how U.S. companies may be able to participate.

2) XRI RESOLUTION 2.O WD 11 ISSUE #37 - SERVICE REFS

We discussed the writeup at:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/ServiceRefs

Key discussion points:

* We realized another limitation to the current WD 10 mechanisms for
distributed XRDS document management, which is that authority refs can only
be followed in one direction, i.e., there is no "backtracking". This means
that an XRDS author can't publish a "tree" of authority refs, only a
"chain".

* Service refs would solve that problem, and also allow XRI authors to
control the ref being followed.

* We discussed how service refs would work with CanonicalID verification,
and agreed that the target XRDS would need to have matching CanonicalIDs to
the source XRDS.

* We agreed that HTTPS trusted resolution would not be affected as long as
the ref URI was an https URI.

* We discussed how service refs would work with SAML trusted resolution and
agreed that it should implement exactly the same algorithm as currently
specified in WD 10, i.e., the source XRD would publish the Keyinfo and
ProviderID of the target XRD. The only question was the use of the Keyinfo
element.

NOTE: Drummond reviewed the SAML trusted res flow in WD10. The Keyinfo and
ProviderID elements are already specified in the Service block, so the exact
same model of SAML trusted res that current applies to the $res*auth service
can apply to any other service that uses a Service Ref.

3) XRI SYNTAX 2.1 ABNF

We continue to make steady progress but need to keep going. A special call
of the syntax team is scheduled for later today. We hope to have this closed
by next week's call. The current status appears at:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/XriAbnf2dot1

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/GlobalSubsegments

=Drummond