xdi message

Subject: XDI protocol bindings (was RE: [xdi] Groups - XDI RDF Model V5 (xdi-rdf-model-v5.pdf) uploaded)

Bill,

You sent the message below six weeks ago and I have been meaning to read up
on WS-RT (Web Service Resource Transfer) ever since. I finally got the
chance to do it today. A few points:

* First, I agree very much that XDI as a protocol should be specified
abstractly, and bound to different transport or transfer protocols as
needed.

* Secondly, I like your suggested set of bindings. I assume the reason for
each binding after HTTP(S) is to take advantage of libraries that already
exist to do RDF/SPARQL, SOAP/WS-RT, and SOAP/XMPP. These all make sense for
that reason. I'm assuming we will learn a great deal from the HTTP(S)
binding, so tackling the others after that will be much easier.

* I submit that one of our highest priorities should be making XDI/HTTP(S)
very lightweight. In other words, one of the key benefits of using the XDI
RDF data model (and which may also apply to the XDI ATI data model) is that
it can be very easy to create XDI resources and begin exchanging/sync'ing
them with XDI messages over HTTP(S). No RDF, SOAP, or WS-* libraries would
be required. Then XDI will "upscale" into those richer environments without
losing any fidelity, i.e., you can interact with an XDI resource via any
binding of the XDI protocol that the service endpoint supports and they will
all give you identical results.

Does this all make sense?

=Drummond

xdi@lists.oasis-open.org