xdi message

Subject: Minutes:Joint XRI & XDI TC Telecon Thursday 2008-01-17

Following are the minutes of the joint unofficial telecon of the XRI and XDI
TCs at:

Date:  Thursday, 17 January 2008 USA
Time:  10:00AM - 11:00AM Pacific Time

**** NOTE THAT THIS WAS THE LAST JOINT TELECON ****
**** SEE THE NEW SCHEDULE BELOW *****

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial joint call of the XRI and XDI Technical Committees.

ATTENDING

Markus Sabadello
Wil Tan
John Bradley
Gabe Wachob
Drummond Reed
Giovanni Bartolomeo
Les Chasen

AGENDA

1) TIMING OF NEXT STEPS ON XRI RESOLUTION 2.0 COMMITTEE DRAFT 02

Drummond and Gabe have set out the following timeline:

	- Feb 1: Public review of CD02 ends
	- Feb 5: New draft reflecting feedback (Type element reuse)
	- Feb 8: Vote on new draft
	- Feb 15: End vote on new draft
	- Feb 20: Begin second public review (15 days)
	- Mar 6: End second public review
	- Mar 7: Begin Committee Specification vote
	- Mar 14: End Committee Specification vote
	- Mar 15: Submit for OASIS Standard vote
	- Apr 1: Begin OASIS Standard vote
	- Apr 30: End OASIS Standard vote

Drummond explained that this schedule is relatively tight, however if there
are minimal changes due to feedback from the public review, it should be
practical. He suggested that the revised text to reflect the OAuth Discovery
feedback wrt the Type element should be prepared and discussed on the list
in advance of the Feb 1 conclusion of the public review.

John Bradley also mentioned that there are topics related to how OpenID uses
XRI and XRDS that could definitely stand to have further documentation,
however this is not an issue for the XRI Resolution 2.0 spec itself.

# DRUMMOND to check with Mary McRae regarding this proposed timing.

2) MOVING TO A NEW TELECON SCHEDULE

Background: The XRI and XDI TCs adopted a joint unofficial telecon nine
months ago to save overhead as we completed the XRI 2.0 spec cycle. Having
(almost) reached that milestone, we need to decide how to proceed.

* There was a consensus among the members of both TCs present that the calls
should be split back into two separate calls.

* Both calls should be limited to one hour to encourage crisp agendas and
efficiency.

* There was consensus to keep the unofficial XRI TC telecon at the same
time, 10-11AM Pacific Time on Thursdays.

* After discussion, the consensus was to begin holding the unofficial XDI TC
telecon at 8-9AM Pacific Time on Thursdays.
** This allows members of the TC who are active in the Higgins Project
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgins_project) to participate in their
weekly telecon from 9-10AM Pacific Time.
** It also is favorable for our European members.
** It is reasonable for Indian members - 9:30-10:30PM Delhi time.
** It is not particularly favorable for our Japanese members - 1-2AM Toyko
time.

* We agreed that we need to try this to see how it works, and that we may
need to look at having a separate telecon, or other means of regular dialog,
with our members in the time zones not well served by that timing.

3) X3

Markus, Drummond, and Paul have made great strides on a compact
serialization format for XDI RDF called X3. They have documented this on the
following page on the XDI TC wiki:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/X3Format

Markus Sabadello gave a demonstration of the XDI Converter tool he has
developed for converting between the three forms of X3 (standard X3; X3D,
for human-friendly display; and X3W, an intermediate form useful for
tutorials and debugging), as well as between other formats including XDI/XML
and XDI/JSON, and X-Triples. The converter service is hosted by Parity and
is publicly available for experimentation:

	http://graceland.parityinc.net/xdi-converter/XDIConverter

Giovanni said his team at the University of Rome has also been working on an
XDI RDF implementation, and they have feedback they would like to discuss on
the next XDI TC call.

# DRUMMOND to put this on the agenda for the first standalone XDI TC telecon
next Thursday.