xdi message

Subject: Re: again on numbering..

Heya Giovanni,

I think the idea of having a way to express ordered collections in XDI would be very useful...

We came across a similar problem a few days ago.. How do we express multiple values for a predicate? For example, =markus could have multiple e-mail addresses. We came up with the following idea:

=markus/+email!1/"markus.sabadello@gmail.com"
=markus/+email!2/"markus.sabadello@xdi.org"

But your pattern would work too:

=markus+email/$num$1/"markus.sabadello@gmail.com"
=markus+email/$num$2/"markus.sabadello@xdi.org"

A third idea Drummond had was to use inner graphs, like this:

=markus
    +email
        /
            $
                $1
                    "markus.sabadello@gmail.com"
                $2
                    "markus.sabadello@xdi.org"

I like all three methods.. But we should probably decide on one of them.. Or just experiment for a while and see what works best...

Markus

On 1/29/08, Giovanni Bartolomeo <giovanni.bartolomeo@uniroma2.it> wrote:
Hello,

some new inputs about this issue:

>* Markus asked if $num is always used in conjuntion with $has predicate, or
>if there would be other uses? Giovanni said it would also be useful
>standalone.

I think that $num could be useful also in accessing arrays, vectors
and similar structures what we could call "ordered collections".

Let's consider again this use case:

=football.team/$has$num$11/+player
@as.roma.calcio/$is$a/+football.team

we could index each player using $num${x} as follow:

@as.roma.calcio+player/$num$0/=curci
@as.roma.calcio+player/$num$7/=derossi
@as.roma.calcio+player/$num$10/=totti

etc.

Do you think this capability could be of help for XDI?

BTW maybe we can avoid the prefix $num and leave only ${num}, e.g.
$0, $5, $7 are valid XRIs which represent the number 0, 5, 7.

What do you think?

Bests,
Giovanni