xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Groups - Comments about XDI versioning (Draft-Contrib-OASIS-XDI-versioning.pdf) uploaded

Title: RE: [xdi] Groups - Comments about XDI versioning (Draft-Contrib-OASIS-XDI-versioning.pdf) uploaded

Hi guys,

You both have some very good and interesting points. Just saw this though and wanted to send off a thought: while ! syntax is easier to understand and read imho, it also might lead to a problem. If you are using it to things in a modifiable collection your collection order could change, or you could insert someplace other than the tail of the collection. This would mean you would need to reassign your ! identifiers, but are they reassignable? $n would get around that and lower the verbosity closer to ! level.

For versioning, I like best the following:

=drummond/$has/$v   (this says that =drummond is versioned)
=drummond/$v/5   (this says the current version is 5)
(=drummond/$v/5)/$is/!4

I think $v should by default be a # in the dictionary. If you want to access yesterday's last version you can do
=drummond/$v+yesterday
which accesses statements of the form
=drummond/$v+yesterday/5
(=drummond/$v/5)/$is/!4

What do you think?,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: markus.sabadello@gmail.com on behalf of Markus Sabadello
Sent: Thu 2/21/2008 10:45 PM
To: giovanni.bartolomeo@uniroma2.it
Cc: xdi@lists.oasis-open.org

Heya Giovanni,

Since I already tried to implement the versioning described in the XDI RDF Model v8 doc, it's interesting for me to read your comments about this..

- Regarding the use of $num instead of ! to index things, I think it's mostly a matter of taste. Both would work fine I think. One thought I am having is that subsegments like !1, !2, !3 do exist in XRI resolution too. I.e. there are some authority resolution servers that use these number-like subsegments (and not ip address-like subsegments like !203.173.1276.1663)..

- Regarding the number of versions, can I ask you something?

Maybe you can take a quick look at this URL: http://graceland.parityinc.net/xdi-endpoint/hibernate-graph-ver/=drummond
As you can see there are the following two statements:

=drummond/$has/$v   (this says that =drummond is versioned)
=drummond/$v/!5   (this says the current version is 5)

I'd like to understand how you would do it instead.

Would you say this?
=drummond/$has$num$5/$v

Or this?
=drummond/$has$5/$v

Just trying to understand it correctly.. I like the idea very much, it makes versioning a bit simpler and more consistent with other constructs..

Note to Drummond: We were talking about how to express multiple values of an attribute (e.g. =markus has multiple +email addresses). After reading Giovanni's comments, it appears to me that versioning may just be another instance of that same problem. I.e. there's no difference between saying =markus has 5 +email addresses, and saying that =drummond has 5 $v ersions. I agree with Giovanni that the same construct should be used in both cases.

- I don't understand why I would use the comparison operators like $greater in versioning.. What would be a practical use case for this? But in general I think these operators can be very useful..

Markus