xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2PM PT 2008-03-13

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 13 March 2008 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial call of the XDI Technical Committee.

ATTENDING

Victor Grey
Kermit Snelson
John Bradley
Drummond Reed
Giovanni Bartolomeo
Markus Sabadello

REGRETS

Bill Barnhill

1) ATI MODEL UPDATE

John reported that he has updated examples now and the next step will be to
post them on the wiki.

# JOHN to post by next week's call.

2) CHARTER CLARIFICATION

We reviewed the proposed XDI charter clarification page on the XDI TC wiki:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiCharter

Our goal is to prepare it for a vote prior to the OASIS Standard vote on XRI
2.0.

* Giovanni suggested that we add XDI Queries to support semantic queries.
There was consensus that this was important enough to tackle in the 1.0 set.

* Giovanni said the University of Rome will be focusing primarily on
semantics and thus would like contribute to XDI Dictionaries and XDI
Queries. This will probably also involve XDI Serialization.

* John pointed out that queries are closely linked with indexing, so these
two subjects may need to be treated together. Victor thought that indexing
would be implementation-specific. Giovanni said that distributed queries
should be in scope. He used Prolog as a example of the model he has in mind.
Drummond used the analogy to XRDS document caching in XRI resolution -- it
is not directly part of a request but the specifications can specify how it
can be controlled and optimized. It was agreed that the specifics of how the
two will interrelated will be part of the work on that specification.

# ALL TC MEMBERS to review the list of deliverables and consider proposed
timeframes before next week's call.

3) XDI CONTEXTS AND CONTEXT DISCOVERY

We began an in-depth discussion of the structure and usage of XDI contexts.
We started by covering the parallels between XRI resolution/XRDS documents
and XDI context discovery using the examples starting on page 16 of the V9
XDI RDF Model document:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27322/xdi-rdf-model-v9.pdf

* An XDI context is an addressing space for a set of XRIs expressing XDI RDF
statements.

* $ is the proposed "self-context" that describes the context itself -- the
equivalent of a self-describing XRDS document.

* Predicates of the $ subject describe attributes and relationships of this
context.

* This is only one use of XDI contexts. Next week we will talk about using
them in messaging and versioning.

4) DATA SHARING SUMMIT AND POTENTIAL F2F MEETING

There was consensus that enough TC members are able to attend Internet
Identity Workshop May 12-14 and the Data Sharing Summit on May 15 that we
should have a F2F meeting on May 16. We will try to arrange a dial-in for
anyone who cannot attend in person.

	http://www.datasharingsummit.com

5) TOPICS FOR THE NEXT CALL

* Closure on the charter clarification.

* Giovanni's $ word proposal (posted to the TC document repository today).

* Second half of XDI contexts discussion.

Please send in any other agenda suggestions.