xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Re: XDI subjects (was Groups - XDI RDF v8 Comments-Barnhill)

There are at least three reasons, in my opinion, why XDI/RDF subjects
can't be literals:

1) RDF itself doesn't allow literals as subjects:

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#dfn-subject

2) The proper XDI mapping of:

  Blah blah <a href="http://example.com/some/target";>some literal text
here</a> blah blah

would be:

  XDI subject = "http://example.com/some/target";
  XDI predicate = $html$a
  XDI object = "some literal text here"

and the corresponding inline X3, with the additional predicates in
Drummond's example, would be something like:

  Blah blah [http://example.com/some/target[$html$a["some literal text
here"]] [$uri$https[https://example.com/resolvable/uri]][$is[@!F83.62B1.44F.2813!1234]]
blah blah

3) Allowing literals as subjects doesn't make logical sense. Consider
the following:

  <"http://example.com/number/of/hours/in/a/day";>
<http://english.com/is";> <"24">.
  <"http://example.com/number/of/beers/in/a/case";>
<http://english.com/is";> <"24">.

So far, so good. But to assert the following:

  <"24"> <"http://english.com/is";>
<"http://example.com/number/of/hours/in/a/day";>.
  <"24"> <"http://english.com/is";>
<"http://example.com/number/of/beers/in/a/case";>.

is to assert some substantial connection between the number of hours
in a day and the number of beers in a case, which is fallacious.

=Kermit