xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2PM PT 2008-03-27

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 20 March 2008 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time

ATTENDING

Giovanni Bartolomeo
Kermit Snelson
Drummond Reed
Victor Grey
John Bradley
Bill Barnhill

1) CHARTER CLARIFICATION

There were no further comments, so we have consensus to hold a charter
clarification vote:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiCharter

# DRUMMOND to submit both the proposed update and a redline to Mary McRae.

2) CO-CHAIR TRANSITION

There were no further nominations for the co-chair position, and John
Bradley, who was not able to attend last week's call, said that he had
spoken with Andy Dale and Steve Churchill and they too felt Bill would be a
fine candidate.

So there was concensus to proceed with a vote.

# DRUMMOND to contact Mary about the logistics of conducting a co-chair
election ballot.

3) DOLLAR WORDS

Giovanni completed "wikification" of his $word proposal, using the main
DollarWords page as the index:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/DollarWords

First we discussed using the wiki for $word documentation. Drummond
explained that it will be much easier now that he accidentally discovered
the "magic switch" (the string "$and/") that turns off the Firefox
interpretation of dollar signs as MathML. Bill then suggested that we use a
template format for $word pages so that we could then programmatically move
them into a dictionary later.

# BILL to propose a MoinMoin template for $word pages.

Then we discussed Giovanni's proposals about XDI queries. He explained that
his query notation is temporary until we work out how to express XDI queries
in XDI. There is consensus that it will be ideal to be able to express XDI
queries in XDI, but until then, using a temporary notation is fine.

# DRUMMOND and MARKUS to make a proposal about how to structure these
queries using the XDI RDF graph model.

4) XDI CONTEXTS AND CONTEXT DISCOVERY

We had another discussion of XDI contexts using the V9 XDI RDF Model
document:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27322/xdi-rdf-model-v9.pdf

We discussed the meaning of XDI subcontexts relative to the XDI statement
that contains them. Drummond explained that a subcontext is the third option
for an XDI object -- the first two being a literal or an XDI. Conceptually
that lines it up with an RDF blank node. However Bill pointed out that the
notion of an XDI subcontext is different than an RDF blank node because an
XDI subcontext can contain multiple XDI statements about multiple XDI
subjects, not just one blank node.

We ran out of time and agreed to continue the topic on the next call. In the
meantime, Drummond will post the Word version of the XDI RDF document so
Bill and others can create proposals from it.

# DRUMMOND to post Word version of XDI RDF Model document. (DONE)

5) NEXT CALLS

We agreed that we would hold next week's telecon at the regular time but
then skip the following week (April 10) due to RSA.