xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] XDI graph as XRIs

Hi Nat,

Re: literals... in RDF they are treated as a separate type of entity. RDF then has two types of entities: Resources (comprised of URIs and Blank Nodes) and Literals (typed and untyped). My proposal would make an XDI semantic graph only have one kind: Resources.  The closest analogy I can come to is Java, which is object oriented except for primitives. Think of literals as RDF's version of primitives, so RDF as resource-oriented except for literals.  XDI would be purely resource-oriented.

Re: encoding... I figured URL encoding. As I mentioned in an earlier email I wouldn't expect literals within XRIs to contain big amounts of data, just like you wouldn't store a big binary file within an RDF data store as an escaped literal. Instead you'd store it in a binary store that provided XRI addressing for it's contents and it would cease to be a literal.

Bill

Bill Barnhill
Associate (XML, Emerging Technologies, Web Services, Java, Ruby)
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
mailto:barnhill_william@bah.com
phone:+1.315.330.7386 // +1.315.491.6765 (cell)
i-name: xri://=Bill.Barnhill

From: Nat Sakimura
Sent: Tue 5/20/2008 9:30 PM
To: Barnhill, William [USA]
Cc: Markus Sabadello; Giovanni Bartolomeo; Drummond Reed; Bill Barnhill; tatsuki@nri.com; xdi@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Bill,

Not knowledgeable on RDF discussions, I am not quite in a position to
assess the statement in 1), and would appreciate if you can explain the
issue a little more so that I can get up-to-speed.

For 2), what kind of encoding scheme do you propose? In case of RDF,
since it essentially is an XML, we could have 0x10 0x13  in it, but for
XRI, I do not think it is feasible. I guess we would have to develop an
escaping scheme for line folding also.

=nat

--
Nat Sakimura (=nat)