xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2PM PT 2008-06-12

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 12 June 2008 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time

ATTENDING

Bill Barnhill
Markus Sabadello
Jeff Hodges
Drummond Reed
Giovanni Bartolomeo
John Bradley

AGENDA

[Drummond apologized for not sending out a full agenda in advance -- just
too swamped in the last 24 hours.]

1) XDI TC JOINING THE OASIS IDTRUST MEMBER SECTION

John, as a newly elected IDtrust Member Section Steering Committee member,
explained the advantages of the XDI TC joining the IDtrust Member Section,
including:

* Some of the budget from the OASIS members who elect to join the Member
Section goes to the TC for promotion, events, etc.
* We are part of other TCs that will help promote our work.
* The Member Section can help sponsor events and articles that highlight our
work along with other Member Section members. The next opportunity will be
the OASIS Open Standards Forum: Security Challenges for the Information
Society:

	http://events.oasis-open.org/home/forum/2008

There was a concensus that we should move forward with this.

# DRUMMOND to request that TC Administrator Mary McRae open a ballot for
this.

2) TECHNICAL TOPIC ORGANIZATION AND PRIORITIZATION

Drummond explained that he has the action item to post two new pages -- one
for spec editor/contributor signup and one for organizing and prioritize
technical topics as we proceed into spec drafting.

# DRUMMOND to finish posting these two pages.

# ALL to post tech topics as needed.

3) VARIABLES

Drummond brought up that one tech topic he felt needed more examination was
variables. Nat Sakimura saw the $$ construct for the first time at the OASIS
Symposium mini-F2F and wondered about it's structure. Bill said that he has
been using the $(xref) form of variables.

Giovanni has been using SPARQL and notes that they are using $name for
variables. So our using "double dollar" ($$name or $$1) aligns with this.

Drummond pointed out that $(xref) has other potential applications, so
reserving it for variables might be too broad a stroke. However $$ could
work for both $$name, $$1, and $$().

John said that to his knowledge the ATI model is not yet using variables in
XRIs.

We agreed that the semantics of the term "variable" are in an XDI context,
and not meant to apply to XRIs in general -- from that standpoint all
subseqments are created equal.

# DRUMMOND to note this as one of the tech topics.