xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2PM PT 2008-09-18

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 18 September 2008 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time

ATTENDING

John Bradley
Markus Sabadello
Drummond Reed
Tatsuki Sakushima

AGENDA

1) STANDING RULE BALLOT

Drummond noted that we need to have a second ballot on the following
Standing Rule:

	"Standing Rule: Does the TC wish to adopt a standing rule to conduct
regular business only by electronic ballot, without Meetings, with the
exception of Meetings called for a special purpose with a minimum of 15
calendar days notice?"

# DRUMMOND to set up a new ballot.

2) TECH TOPIC: XDI CONTEXT DISCOVERY

Eran Hammer-Lahav has posted an excellent summary of what is needed to move
to a general-purpose metadata discovery protocol:

	http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2008/09/discovery-and-h.html

Given that one of our planned XDI 1.0 specs is XDI Context Discovery, we
discussed the use of XDI documents as one of the general purpose discovery
formats, similar to XRDS, POWDER, RDF, etc.

Discussion then focused on the protocol necessary to support such discovery,
independent of the metadata document format. We discussed two messages that
Dan Connolly had just posted to the W3C TAG public mailing list:

	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Sep/0083.html
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Sep/0084.html

We agreed with Dan that the missing element of the current definitions on
the XRI TC wiki page...

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/AbstractIdentifierArchitecture

...was a statement about the assumption they were relative to a given
communications protocol. The conclusion was that, given one communications
protocol, the same identifier cannot be both abstract and concrete at the
same time. The same identifier can, however, be abstract in the context of
one protocol and concrete in the context of another.

We concluded that this is an issue that needs to be resolved by those
working on such a protocol (the XRI TC and others working on XRDS, the
POWDER community, the RDF community, etc.). Once the protocol is determined,
it should work as well for discovery of XDI documents as for any other
metadata format.