xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2PM PT 2008-11-20

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 20 November 2008 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time

ATTENDING

Mike Mell
Drummond Reed
John Bradley
Bill Barnhill
Giovanni Bartolomeo
Markus Sabadello
Tatsuki Sakushima

AGENDA

1) SUMMARY OF INTERNET IDENTITY WORKSHOP AND XRI TC FACE-TO-FACE

For XDI TC members who were not able to attend, we provided an overview of
the jam-packed IIW sessions and the XRI TC F2F. See the minutes
of the latter at:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/FaceToFaceAgenda

Given the high focus on XRD as a metadata discovery format, Bill asked about
XDI in that role. Drummond suggested that XDI could be an alternative media
type, as could native RDF. The XRD discovery protocol should be generic
enough to support all of these options.

John felt that XRD would become the default discovery document format, but
that smarter endpoints would also support other formats like XDI and RDF.

We also talked about the OpenID Trust Exchange (TX) proposal presented by
Nat Sakimura and Tatsuki. Based on feedback at IIW has been renamed to
Contract Exchange. It brings the basic XDI link contract format to OpenID.

2) CONCLUSION RE GCS DELIMITER PROPOSAL (WAS GLOBAL CROSS-REFERENCES
PROPOSAL)

What was formerly called the "global cross-reference proposal" was renamed
to the "GCS delimiter proposal" because that was a simpler and better
articulation of the motivations for the proposal.
See the revised writeup at:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriThree/GcsDelimiter

The conclusion of the group on Friday was that it does solve a number of
problems, so we should adopt GCS characters as delimiters in XRI 3.0. This
now needs to be ratified by the full membership of the TC.

John brought up that this doesn't yet address the issue about the scope of $
words. For example, is the context of $v (version) universal? Drummond said
that the discussion at the F2F was that $ word references were intended to
be global across all contexts that use XRIs. But a case could also be made
for saying that $ word semantics are defined in the context of specific
protocols.

This raised the larger issue of the $ dictionary. Drummond explained that
both the XRI and XDI TCs would each maintain parts of the $ dictionary.
However now it appears to be more feasible for their to be a single $
dictionary maintained by the XDI TC since the XRI TC has proposed so few $
words and only the XDI TC has proposed a dictionary definition facility.

Bill felt that would be fine as long as it didn't introduce any
cross-dependencies between the XRI and XDI specifications.

3) GIOVANNI'S LINK CONTRACT WRITEUP

We reviewed the writeup Giovanni posted about the proposed link contract
semantics:

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/200811/msg00025.html

Unfortunately we could not hear Giovanni very well on his connection, so we
could not go into the topic in detail.

# DRUMMOND and JOHN to work with Giovanni to test his connection to see if
we can come up with something better for our next call.

4) BEGINNING SPEC EDITING

Now that the XRI 3.0 spec cycle is underway, we reviewed plans for starting
the first XDI 1.0 spec documents. We are also planning to use the Jira
issues tracking system starting in early December.

# DRUMMOND to set up home pages on the wiki for each spec.