xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] on global cross references and the link contract use case

Hello Les,

First, thank you for having read the contribution! Unfortunately I'm probably not the best person which can answer your question, as I'm not an expert of XRI2.0. I limited to develop my contribution in the scope of the current proposal ( http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriThree/GcsDelimiter), which, I personally support for one specific reason: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200811/msg00043.html.

I think Drummond's reply http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/200811/msg00031.html is a good technical explanation of this, expecially the last statement: in an ordered set, you are not referencing across contexts. The context is the ordered set itself. For example, in $sig$d, the context for $d is $sig. Which I understand as follow: put an object inside a context is not exactly the same as referencing it from that context).

The core of this issue - that's my guess and not a technical explanation -  is probably that XRI2.0 did not consider the need to "put an instance of an object inside a context", but just to "cross reference" it. That is instead a fundamental capability for XDI (and for any human or machine understandable language).

I'll be happy to answer any further questions you might have on the contents of the contribution itself.

Kind Regards,
Giovanni

At 13.36 25/11/2008, Chasen, Les wrote:
Hi Giovanni.  I had a chance to read this.  While I like what you guys
are doing with link contracts I fail to understand why all of these
examples do not work with XRI 2.0 style cross references.