xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] on global cross references and the link contract use case

See below for some specific responses.  Overall I am still just not getting the need for this capability.  This proposal has been out there, under various names, for years.  OMG, I cannot believe it has been years L

The problem, IMHO, is that a solution was discovered before a requirement or need came to light.  Almost by mistake this solution, originally called concatenated syntax, was discovered while explaining XRIs to others.   This syntax seemed easier to convey the message.  Once we had this solution a requirement was sought out.  That is a bit backwards.  Usually one comes up with a requirement before figuring out a solution.  As a result we have been trying to fit a requirement into the solution and none of them seem to have been articulated very well.    I just do not understand why we need to introduce global subsegements.

From: John Bradley [mailto:jbradley@mac.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:30 PM
To: Chasen, Les
Cc: giovanni.bartolomeo@uniroma2.it; xdi@lists.oasis-open.org

We need to remember that @cordance is not asked.

If @cordance has an authority service that service is asked for a XRD.

[Chasen, Les] Right, the authority resolution service for @cordance is providing the responses.

The Authority service for @cordance can produce a XRD in any way it sees fit.  It may take it from a file or look it up in XDI or some other database.

[Chasen, Les] Correct

I think the Parenthesis indicate that the thing it is being handed to resolve is not a normal subsegment it must use some special processing to produce a XRD for the identifier contained in the cross reference.

[Chasen, Les] Interesting … Now the parenthetical cross reference is being referred to as not normal.  I am not sure I agree but if it is special processing seems to make sense.  However, special processing has not been proposed.

Passing *(=Drummond) to a authority server is telling the authority server to produce a XRD based on the input value of the global =drummond.   It could just go get =Drummond's XRD and return that though that would brake CID verification.

[Chasen, Les] it could but again special processing has not been proposed.  It would seem that if there really is a significant difference between GCS subsegments and cross references that there should be.  I am trying to understand this.

I see the (=drummond ) , (+14165551212) or (http://yahoo.com) etc as inputs to some lookup extension process on the authority server,

and =drummond as a subsegment a request to retrieve that subsegment from @cordance's authority server.

[Chasen, Les] At this point I just do not see the justification for this.

Cross references have always been about sending an opaque string to a authority server to get back a XRD.

[Chasen, Les] an opaque string that represents another authority.

I don't thingk @cordance+drummond is a cross reference it is a two subsegment XRI

[Chasen, Les] I do not agree.

=jbradley