xdi message

Subject: RE: Statement 6 is feeling weird..

Funny you should say that, Markus. I was on a plane all day today flying
back from Boston to Seattle (left just before a big storm hit Boston; landed
in Chicago just after a big storm passed by; and reached Seattle just before
a big storm hits here - whew!)

Anyway, on the plane I went over Statement 6 again because it was bugging me
too, for exactly the reasons you identify. The solution was to revise the
graph for compound $has relationships so that they chain directly. For
example, saying +x/$has/+y and +y/$has/+z means you can say:

	+x+y/$has/+z
	+x/$has/+y+z
	+x+y+z

I have uploaded the new graphs that follow this logic. Links:

	PDF

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/30457/xdi-rdf-graphing-v2.
pdf
	PPT

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/30456/xdi-rdf-graphing-v2.
ppt

NOTE THAT THE ORDER OF THE DIAGRAMS CHANGED - with the new logic, it made
much more sense to move #6 in V1 to become #4 in V2.

Besides solving the issue you identified, this logic has two other
advantages:

1) It keeps the rules 100% clean: $has relationships between two XRI can
ALWAYS be expressed by direct concatention of the subject and the object,
with NO CHANGE to either.

2) It reflects the same property in natural language (at least in English
anyway). For example, if I use the following four nouns as a phrase...

	American company president signature

...then it still means the same thing if I parse them into any of the
following combinations:

	American + (company president signature)
	(American company) + (president signature)
	(American company president) + signature

So this way our logic lines up with natural language too.

MUCH better. Do you agree?

=Drummond