xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] notes from meeting in Nice, Jan 29 2009

Thank you, useful to get that level of explicitness. I just discovered
today reviewing the RDF model that = is itself an XRI for the =
registry, so that =drummond => =/$has/drummond : your model addresses
this nicely.

You're not making any commitment about what the relationship is
between +x+y and +y. I had been suggesting +x+y/$is$a/+y, but after
revisiting the RDF model (and statements such as $get$a$xsd$boolean),
I'm not as confident about that, so you needn't change anything.

The model does not relate $has to $has$a. I think there is clearly
such a relation --- the object of $has is the unique, possibly
aggregate value, the object of $has$a includes those values in classes
--- and it would be nice to have a diagram showing the relation
between =abraham/$has$a/+son and =abraham/$has/=isaac. The
relationship of $is and $is$a, on the other hand, was always somewhat
murky, and it would not be useful to attempt to illustrate it.

In the new dispensation, the inverting word is $is, not $a. :-)

On 30/01/2009, at 13:15, Markus Sabadello wrote:

> Hi Giovanni (and others),
>
> I'm trying to summarize in a few words what we talked about. Please
> correct me if I made a mistake or forgot anything.
>
> - We had a look at the xdi-rdf-global-graph-proposal-v1 which
> Giovanni posted about a week ago:
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/30802/xdi-rdf-global-graph-proposal-v1.pdf
>
> - The basic graph model described in that document is essentially
> the same as the one we are all familiar with (i.e. subject/predicate/
> object triples), but the document proposes a new methodology for
> drawing the graph. The main innovation is to draw EVERYTHING that
> has an XRI as a node (including predicates!). Arcs are drawn between
> the nodes, but arcs themselves don't have XRIs. A typical statement
> consisting of subject, predicate and object would be drawn as three
> nodes and three arcs.
>
> - Arcs are colored to indicate which statement they belong to.
>
> - A node with a given XRI never appears twice in the graph, but it
> can of course be part of more than one statement. For example if you
> have the following two statements:
> =markus/+email/'markus.sabadello@gmail.com'
> +email/$is$a/+contactdata
>
> Then only a single node with the XRI +email would be drawn, but it
> would be part of both statements.
>
> - Giovanni distinguishes between Syntactic Correctness and Semantic
> Consistency
>
> - Syntactic Correctness simply means that the graph properly fits
> into the RDF graph model (subject/predicate/object). This is a
> similar concept to a "well-formed" XML document.
>
> - Semantic Consistency means that the statements in the graph are
> consistent with accompanying dictionary statements. E.g. if you have
> a statement =markus/+friend/=giovanni, then for the graph to be
> "semantically consistent", there would also have to be the
> dictionary statement =markus/$has$a/+friend. These dictionary
> statements could be mixed into the same graph, or they could exist
> in a separate document or XDI endpoint (such as a Community
> Dictionary Service). This is a similar concept to a "valid" XML
> document.
>
> - The XDI Validator application could be extended to support
> validating this Semantic Consistency.
>
> - If you want you can work with XDI without caring about "semantic
> consistency" / dictionary entries, just like you can work with XML
> without caring about schemas / DTDs.
>
> - Giovanni's document also introduces the concept of "roots", which
> are drawn as a slash in a box. Those roots and the arcs originating
> from them do not actually appear as statements in the graph, but
> they indicate who is authoritative for an XRI. For example, all +
> XRIs (+friend, +email, etc) come from the same "root" (the Community
> Dictionary Service). Similarly, all $ XRIs ($is, $has, etc) come
> from the same "root" (the XDI specfications). =markus and =drummond
> would come from different "roots", since different XDI endpoints are
> [...]

(*)(*)(*)
http://www.opoudjis.net      DR NICK NICHOLAS; LINK AFFILIATES,
MELBOURNE
skype:opoudjis              opoudjis@optushome.com.au
  "Some of the English might say that the Irish orthography is very
Irish.
  Personally, I have a lot of respect for a people who can create
something
  so grotesque." -- Andrew Rosta