xdi message

Subject: More on +x/+y/+x+y

Based on our discussions on the telecon today, I want to return to the
"+x/+y/+x+y dilemma" and propose a solution.

The "dilemma", as Giovanni explains in his message below, is that if
+x/$has/+y metagraph statements infer that both +x+y/$is$a/+y and
+x/+y/+x+y, then every $has statement infers that a subclass of +y is also
an instance of +y. As Giovanni's example goes:

#1	=drummond/$has/+friend
#2	=drummond/+friend/=drummond+friend	<-- inferred from #1 -->
#3	=drummond/+friend/=giovanni
#4	=drummond/+friend/=markus
#5	=drummond+friend/$is$a/+friend	<-- inferred from #2 -->
#6	=giovanni/$is$a/+friend	<-- inferred from #3 -->
#7	=markus/$is$a/+friend	<-- inferred from #4 -->

Or in X3 form:

=drummond
	$has
		+friend
	+friend
		=drummond+friend
		=giovanni
		=markus
=drummond+friend
	$is$a
		+friend
=giovanni
	$is$a
		+friend
=markus
	$is$a
		+friend

Giovanni's concern, as I understand it, is whether =drummond+friend is an
instance of +friend the same way =giovanni and =markus are.

Based on today's discussion and the proposed "last subsegment wins" rule,
the answer is that =drummond+friend is a subclass of +friend, while
=giovanni and =markus are instances of +friend. All three --
=drummond+friend, =giovanni, and =markus have $is$a relationships to
+friend, but the first is a subclass and the latter two are instances.

This can be generalized to anything. Here's another example:

*bugs.bunny/$is$a/+animal
*flipper/$is$a/+animal
+lion/$is$a/+animal
+sheep/$is$a/+animal

Or, to use the inverse:

+animal/$a/*bugs.bunny
+animal/$a/*flipper
+animal/$a/+rabbit
+animal/$a/+dolphin

The first two are instances of animals and the second two are subclasses of
the class animal. There's no conflict in this - both the instances and the
subclasses have $is$a relationships to +animal.

It gets even more interesting - if you turn the last example into $has
relationships, you get:

*bugs.bunny/$has/+animal	-->	*bugs.bunny+animal
*flipper/$has/+animal		-->	*flipper+animal
+rabbit/$has/+animal		-->	+rabbit+animal
+dolphin/$has/+animal		-->	+dolphin+animal

These are all now classes of +animal. In English they would be expressed as:
"Bugs Bunny animal", "Flipper animal", "rabbit animal", "dolphin animal".
The first two "inherit" the qualities of the instance they name (young
children often use this kind of speech logic.) This illustrates how
instances can be used to create subclasses just like classes can be used to
create subclasses.

And the inverse is true too. Classes can be used to restrict instances.

+car/$has/*monte.carlo		-->	+car*monte.carlo
+city/$has/*monte.carlo		-->	+city*monte.carlo

In the first case Monte Carlo is an instance of a car, and in the second it
is an instance of a city.

From all of these, my conclusion is that it is not a problem for +x/$has/+y
to infer both +x+y/$is$a/+y and +x/+y/+x+y. The first expresses inheritance
(subclassing) and the second expresses hierarchy -- in particular the
machine-navigable hierarchy which is the key (literally) to XDI addressing.

In terms of the question of defining, "What is the range of +y?", I think
the answer is, "at least all the subclasses of +y". These do not need to be
enumerated; they can all be expressed generically as +y/$a/$$+y. The rest of
the range of +y -- all the instances which must be enumerated in some XDI
dictionary definition of +y, can be expressed generically as +y/$a/$$.

Hope this helps,

=Drummond