xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Key implications of new metagraph $has definition

Giovanni,

I agree with the intent of what you are staying, i.e., that +x+y+z is a way
of addressing +z in the context of +x+y.

To be VERY precise, under the new $has definition, +x+y+z is:

	(+x+y/+z)

...which expands to...

	((+x/+y)/z)

...which, if you really wanted, expands to:

	((+x/$has/+y)/$has/+z)

Secondly, I agree with you that on the surfact it may look like there is a
lot of difference between the set +x+y+z and the reified statement
(+x/+y/+z). For example, you might be tempted to make both of these XDI RDF
statements and English interpretations:

	=drummond+friend=markus/+nickname/"Mark"
	Drummond's friend Markus's nickname is "Mark".

	(=drummond/+friend/=markus)/+nickname/"Mark"
	Drummond has a friend Markus whose nickname is "Mark".

However, while the first one is fine, the second English translation is not,
because the subject (=drummond/+friend/=markus) is NOT referring to the
object =markus, but the statement "Drummond has a friend Markus". So, when
the subject is a reified statement, the property needs to be making an
assertion /about that statement/. You gave an excellent example in your
message:

	(=drummond/+friend/=markus)/+since/$d$2004

My conclusion, then, is that if in fact you want to refer to "Drummond's
friend Markus" as an XDI RDF subject -- in other words, if you want to talk
about the subject =markus, but only in the context of him being Drummond's
friend, then the ONLY way you have of doing that is $has statements, i.e.:

	=drummond+friend=markus/+nickname/"Mark"
	Drummond's friend Markus's nickname is "Mark".

Hope this helps,

=Drummond