xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2PM PT 2009-11-12

No, Bill, we didn't get past the initial topic of $has semantics. We need to close on that first. But we'll definitely get to the rest of it - this is a rich topic.

=Drummond

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Barnhill, William [USA] <barnhill_william@bah.com> wrote:

Was there discussion of the new link contract terms I proposed ($allow, $deny) and the proposed usage?

From: drummond.reed@gmail.com [drummond.reed@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Drummond Reed [drummond.reed@xdi.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:55 PM
To: OASIS - XDI TC

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 12 November 2009 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time (20:00-21:00 UTC)

ATTENDING
Giovanni Bartolomeo
Nika Jones
Drummond Reed
Markus Sabadello

1) LINK CONTRACT STRUCTURE AND RELATED ISSUES

The main topic of the call was the following thread (and its antecedents):

 http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/200911/msg00006.html

Giovanni started out with this XDI statement from the wiki page on link contracts:

>> =drummond+friend$contract$sig
>>        $has
>>                =web*markus     <-- Drummond adds Markus to this contract

Discussion then focused on the mechanics of $has statement works.

           +a+b <==> +a/$has/+b

The above two statements also mean +a+b/$is$a/+b.

We then discussed having compound XRIs on either side of the $has statements.

Drummond believes both the XDI statements +a+b/$has/+c and +a/$has/+b+c are expressed by +a+b+c. This is noted at:

           http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiOne/RdfGraphModel#A.24hasand.24is.24has

By contrast, +a(+b+c) only expresses +a/$has/(+b+c) and +a/$has/(+b/$has/+c), and (+a+b)+c only expresses (+a+b)/$has/+c and (+a/$has/+b)/$has/+c.

There was agreement that we all want to have semantic correctness, so even if we went over this last spring we need need to analyze it again to see if in fact it produces any ambiguities. Markus believes the thread discussing this was:

           http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/200905/msg00002.html

We agreed to continue to discuss this in email with the goal of closing on it before the next call.

2) NEXT CALL

Drummond noted that he will be at the Kynetx Impact conference in Salt Lake City next Wednesday and Thursday, so it is possible he may not be able to attend next week’s telecon—he has to find out the exact schedule.