xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Proposed additional X3 representation format, or a replacement for X3 Whitespace

Both good questions, I'll address them both in full  soon as possible but that won't be for a couple days as I'm really under the gun right now.
Markus, the short answer to your question for was that I was using 'x' to mean ref, and "x" to mean string, but that's a language specific artifact. My initial thought is that
{"+friend": "=Bill.Barnhill"} means value is a String (which could be an XRI if it validates as one), and
{"+friend": {"=Bill.Barnhill": undefined}}

Seems closest to my initial thinking but alas does not work in JSON.stringify, so perhaps
{"+friend": {"=Bill.Barnhill": nulll}}
or
{"=markus": {"+friend": {"=Bill.barnhill": {} } } } <-- Despite lispish feel I probably like this one best of the ones that work.

Kind regards,

Bill Barnhill
Booz Allen Hamilton - Rome, NY
315-330-7386  | william.barnhill.ctr@rl.af.mil | barnhill_william@bah.com
From: drummond.reed@gmail.com [drummond.reed@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Drummond Reed [drummond.reed@xdi.org]
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 5:39 PM
To: Markus Sabadello
Cc: Barnhill, William [USA]; OASIS - XDI TC

Good question, Markus. I was looking over Bill's example and had a second question. The example shows that subcontexts begin with the string "_context". That, too, is a valid XRI string. I think it would be a mistake to start reserving XRIs to have special semantics unless they are $ words defined for this purpose.

So that's a second issue we need to address if we are going to make X3J part of the XDI Serialization spec.

=Drummond