xdi message

Subject: More on the $has semantics and XDI metagraph model

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Giovanni Bartolomeo <giovanni.bartolomeo@uniroma2.it> wrote:
Hello,

Thank you Drummond for these useful minutes. I have just one minor comment (below).

Kind Regards,
Giovanni

Def. Quota "Drummond Reed" <drummond.reed@xdi.org>:

Giovanni said that he believes we need a semantic identifier for "Bill's
email" that is different than "Bill email".

Since this statement may sound a bit confusing... precisely I said that:

 [2:00:38 PM] GB: I'd like to have =bill+email as the concept identifying
Bill's email, whereas I'd like to have (=bill/+email) as the subject
reifying the statement =bill/$has/+email

Continuing our talking on Friday, I explained that I believe that there are two concepts here:

1) (=bill/+email) is a subject representing the FACT asserting that Bill has a property, email (i.e. reification)

2) =bill+email is a subject representing the SET (or array, or collection, list, etc...) of all email instances belonging to Bill.

Giovanni,

I understand what you are saying and I agree in the difference between these two concepts. What I don't agree about is that (=bill/+email) and =bill+email are the XDI statements that differentiate between these two concepts.

My first reason is that, according to the very clear, logical, and easily visualized rules of cell graphs, (=bill/+email) and =bill+email both produce the same cell graph. Therefore there is, IMHO, a very strong case for them to be "resolution equivalent"

However, (=bill/+email/$) (see below) and =bill+email do not produce the same cell graph. In addition, when you get right down to the heart of the metagraph model (Appendix A of the V14 RDF Graph Model http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiRdfModel), (=bill/+email/$) and =bill+email are more accurate translations of the English phrases "Bill's email" and "Bill email".

This also solves the problem of how to distinguish between the singular and plural forms of an XDI statement identifing an XDI RDF object. Example:

Bill's email                          (=bill/+email/$)   <-- identifies a single instance of the object -->
Bill's emails                        (=bill/+email/$$)  <-- identifies the collection of all instances of the object -->
Bill email                            (=bill/+email)   AND  =bill+email  <-- identifies a new specialized class -->

I don't have time right now to write up the details of how the metagraph model produces these statements and I may not get that time until Thursday (really slammed this week), but I wanted to post this much.

Best,

=Drummond