xdi message

Subject: golden triangle (was Re: [xdi] $is is the universal inverserestriction)

-1. I'd like "predicate" better, to maintain backward compatibility with RDF.

BTW there are currently many issues with the "golden triangle" which
are still very obscure (at least to me), including: $is$a as $word
relating predicates with objects, $is and self referencing arc
definition, $has$a definition as traversal of subject and predicate,
+x/+y/+y and +x/+y/+x+y reintroduced, after we agreed that they were
not needed, etc...

Note that the current specs are totally based on the golden triangle:
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiOne/AddressingAndGraphModel

This way it becomes very difficult - or sometimes even impossible - to
think at XDI productions in terms of description logic.

I think it would be better to rediscuss together the golden triangle,
and probably revise the current specs page accordingly.

Kind Regards,
Giovanni

Def. Quota "Drummond Reed" <drummond.reed@xdi.org>:

> I don't think it's any more confusing than "predicate". "verb" is just a
> role - the same XRI could be a subject, verb, and object (especially in an
> XDI dictionary).
>
> But that's just one person's view. What do others think?
>
> =Drummond
>
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Markus Sabadello
> <markus.sabadello@xdi.org>wrote:
>
>> Oh nooo I'll have to rename lots of stuff in XDI4j :)
>>
>> But seriously, isn't "verb" a bit confusing? +name, +address etc. don't
>> look like verbs to me.
>>
>> Markus
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Drummond Reed
>> <drummond.reed@xdi.org>wrote:

>>> I left out the other six options: Using the metagraph predicate as a 1)
>>> standalone subject, 2) subject restriction, or 3) subject
>>> extension, as well
>>> as a 4) standalone object, 5) object restriction, 6) object extension.
>>>
>>> For many of those, the answer may be "undefined", but for some there are
>>> very good answers. For example, $ as a standalone subject is the
>>> XDI context
>>> self-descriptor; and $has and $a are both used as the proposed subject
>>> extensions to create link contracts as shown in the lower part of
>>> the example
>>> PDX document <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/PdxExample>.

>>> I agree that the Golden Triangle diagram by itself does not make it clear
>>> that the $is arc is reflexive. It needs some text with it to
>>> explain that. I
>>> have a separate intermediate diagram that explains the origins of
>>> the Golden
>>> Triangle diagram that makes that much clearer. I propose we use both in the
>>> final spec.

>>> I agree with your logic, and with using "subject, verb, object" instead of
>>> "subject, predicate, object". If anyone on the TC disagrees, please post,
>>> else I will start using that in all the XDI-related text I'm writing.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> =Drummond

Invito da parte dell'Ateneo:
Il tuo futuro e quello della Ricerca Scientifica hanno bisogno del
tuo aiuto. Dona il  5 x mille all'Universita' di Roma Tor Vergata
codice fiscale: 80213750583 http://5x1000.uniroma2.it