xdi message

Subject: Term for "predicate" (was Re: [xdi] golden triangle)

I renamed this thread so we can keep it just about the term for "predicate", and have a separate thread on the golden triangle.

For my part, +1 on sticking with the term "predicate", simply because RDF uses the same term for the same second-slot-of-a-triple.

To address Joseph's concern that XDI allows predicates without objects, I think we just need to state that in the specs, and note that expressing partial triples is a key difference between XDI and RDF.

On a side note, I've been wondering whether our "partial statements" can't be expressed as complete triples where either the predicate and object are both null or just the object is null.

From an XDI addressing standpoint, this would mean the XDI statement =drummond (just a subject) could also be expressed as =drummond// , or =drummond/+friend could be expressed as =drummond/+friend/

I have no strong opinion on it at all, other than if we did this, it would be important for the above to be considered equivalent, so that we didn't introduce interop problem.

The benefit would be that we could say all XDI statements are complete triples.

Thoughts?

=Drummond