xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2PM PT 2010-07-22

Following are the minutes of the unofficial  telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 22  July 2010 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time (21:00-22:00 UTC)

ATTENDING

Joe Johnston
Joseph Boyle
Markus Sabadello
Kaliya Hamlin
Drummond Reed

NOTE: THE IDEARPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:

      http://xdi.idearpad.org/5

The password is:

      turtle

(Note: the link to last week is http://xdi.idearpad.org/4 - password was "turtle".)

1)  UPDATES

Everyone on the call except Drummond attended the Federated Social Web Summit last Sunday before OSCON. The group presented about the PDS Project, a new open source based on an XDI "stack", which means PDS implementations will speak the XDI protocol and use an XDI data model. However early on the emphasis will be on interop with other social networks and applications so much of the early effort will go into interop with those protocols, such as OStatus and OAuth.

2) GROUPS

We had a discussion about the differences between an RDF data model for personal data stores and an XDI data model for personal data stores, and how to illustrate this with specific examples and use cases.

The discussion focused on groups, since this is something that is widely needed in social web interactions. The conclusion was that it would be ideal to start at the level of an application, such as "federated discussion forums", show how it needs the functionality of groups in order to that across multiple sites, and then finally get down to showing how RDF might handle groups and how XDI handles groups.

Markus has started a page, http://personaldatastore.info/xdi-technology/, for presenting some information about the role XDI will play in the project, and why we are using it instead of RDF.

3) XDI RETREAT

We need to start planning for the retreat, which is August 12-16 at Whistler in Canada. Drummond suggests that each TC member who can attend send a short email to the list with their personal list of topics they want to see discussed/issues they want to see resolved/outcomes they want to achieve. Please prioritize the list so we know which topics are most important.

4) NEXT CALL

Even though Catalyst is next week in San Diego, and Drummond, Joseph, and Markus will be attending, we should still plan on a call at the regular time since it should be a free slot for them.