xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Agenda: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2:30PM PT 2010-10-14

WRT 3a - equivalence semantics: The RDF/OWL community has had a similar discussion going on for a while. A representative slice of the discussion can be found on StackOverflow:  http://www.semanticoverflow.com/questions/1095/alternatives-to-owlsameas-for-linked-data

As I mentioned in June if the semantics are not strong enough to use owl:sameAs then I don't think $is would work, as I think $is maps to owl:sameAs.  SKOS properties seem a good fit and as I mentioned, skos:closeMatch seems the most similar to h:correlation to me. I had mentioned $partOf back then, but don't think it's a fit for this now.  I'd actually recommend, pending OASIS legal review for copyright reasons, that we take the following skos properties and make them dollar words:

skos:closeMatch
skos:exactMatch
skos:broadMatch
skos:narrowMatch
skos:relatedMatch

{see http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos.html }

As an alternative we could say that the $word $skos is reserved and maps into the SKOS namespace. Then you could use $skos(+closeMatch).  Wordier and definitely harder to read, but may be easier from  copyright standpoint and from a re-use standpoint.  Personally I prefer the new dollar word approach though in this case as the $words would be used so often and be so core to XDI use for mapping one XDI graph to a related one.

Kind regards,

Bill Barnhill
Booz Allen Hamilton - Norfolk, VA
From: drummond.reed@gmail.com [drummond.reed@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Drummond Reed [drummond.reed@xdi.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:32 AM
To: OASIS - XDI TC

NOTE THAT THIS CALL WILL EXTEND TO 90 MINUTES FOR EVERYONE WHO CAN ATTEND FOR THAT PERIOD

Following is the agenda for the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 14 October 2010 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:30PM Pacific Time (21:00-22:30 UTC) - SEE NOTE ABOVE

PLEASE DIAL ONE OF THE FOLLOWING NUMBERS:

1) Skype Number: +9900827047990866
(this will connect you directly to the conference room)
{Bill is not able to join Skype chat from current work location}

2) US/Canada Toll Number: +1-201-793-9022  7990866#

3) International Toll Number (follow this with the Conference Room Number:
7990866#)
Austria (0820 401 15470)
Belgium (0703 57 134)
France (0826 109 071)
Germany (0180 500 9527)
Ireland (0818 270 968)
Spain (902 885 791)
Switzerland (0848 560 397)
United Kingdom/Northern Ireland (0870 0990 931)

THE GOTOMEETING FOR TODAY IS:
     https://www2.gotomeeting.com/join/969244355

THE IDEARPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://xdi.idearpad.org/10

Please try to preface each of your comments with your name so the transcription into the minutes is easier.
(Note: the link to last week is http://xdi.idearpad.org/6 - password was "turtle".)

AGENDA

1) UPDATED METAGRAPH SYMBOL PAGE

Drummond will be posting an update tomorrow morning (Thursday) to the wiki page we discussed last week (since renamed as follows):

    http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/MetagraphSymbols

2) LINK CONTRACT EXAMPLE PAGE

Drummond will be posting an example of the simplified link contract format that is possible due to the improved semantics of the metagraph symbols.

3) OTHER TOPICS
If we have time (this is our ongoing issues list):

* Equivalence semantics: close on whether we need an additional $word that is the equivalent of Higgins Personal Data Model (PDM) semantics of h:correlation, which is not as strong as $is.

     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00036.html

* Cool URIs: continue previous discussion about the use of standard RDF URIs in XDI:

 http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00023.html

4) NEXT CALL