xdi message

Subject: RE: Request for help

Thanks for the answers Drummond.  As for the data URIs, I am looking forward to reading/hearing your proposal on that, as I know you have something in the pipeline.

Good luck in San Francisco!

-Bill

From: drummond.reed@gmail.com [drummond.reed@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Drummond Reed [drummond.reed@xdi.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:23 AM
To: Barnhill, William [USA]
Cc: OASIS - XDI TC

Bill, sorry to be slow in responding - I need to fly to San Francisco in the morning, so I'll keep this short. See inline.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Barnhill, William [USA] <barnhill_william@bah.com> wrote:

So I am doing a quick course check to make sure I am serializing things properly in XDI JSON.  Please look at the FOAF extension snippet below, and the XDI JSON version of it that is below that, and tell me how you would serialize it differently, if you would.  Please keep in mind this is as it would be input into an XDI store, so no inferred XRIs except a few explicitly stated by the user in their input.

The OwnedItem extension snippet:

<ns:OwnedItem>
 <ns:owner>
   <foaf:Person rdf:about”http://example.org/alice” />
 </ns:owner>
 <ns:item>
   <book:Book dc:title="1984"/>
 </ns:item>
 <dc:date>2003-12-25</dc:date>
 <ns:source>
   <foaf:Person rdf:about=”http://example.org/bob” />
 </ns:source>
</ns:OwnedItem>

Btw, I know that technically, for a conversion, I'd need to use (http://example.org/bob) rather than =bob, but I am just using =bob and -alice for the example.

Bill, I'd need to study the RDF graph above to make sure that what you were serializing below was the same graph. I don't have the time to do that right at the moment, so I'll restrict my comments below to the serialization itself.

First comment: your XDI verbs are still $words, vs. metagraph symbols. We haven't yet settled on that (another topic altogether), so it's just an FYI.

The XDI JSON version:
{
   "*": {
       "$is": [
           "=alice+possession$1"
       ],
       "$is$a": [
           "=alice+possession$",
           "+possession$"
       ]
   },
   "$": {
       "=alice+possession$1": {
           "*": {
               "$is$a": [
                   "=alice+possession",
                   "+possession"
               ],
               "+owner": [
                   "=alice"
               ],

The next line below starts another subcontext, so it should be serialized using a "$": { statement at the same level as the last "*": { statement above.

               "+item": {
                   "$": {

The line above should be a "*": { statement since the object is a predicate, not a subcontext.

                       "$is$a": [
                           "+book"
                       ],
                       "+title": [
                           "(data:,1984)"
                       ]
                   }
               },
               "+source": [
                   "=bob"
               ],
               "$d": [
                   "(data:,2003-12-25)"
               ]
           }
       }
   }
}

Lastly, I note that all the literals are expressed as XRIs in the (data:...) format. That's cool, but I have some suggestions about that.

Again, I don't know if I'll be able to attend this week's call, but if so, we can discuss it further then.

Best,

=Drummond