xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2:30PM PT 2011-03-17

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 17 March 2011 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:30PM Pacific Time (21:00-22:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Bill Barnhill
Michael Schwartz
Joseph Boyle
Drummond Reed
Giovanni Bartolomeo

THE IDEARPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://xdi.idearpad.org/25

1) OPENXDI UPDATE

Mike said that Gluu is planning to have a developer working at least half time on OpenXDI. The weekly OpenXDI call is currently at 10AM Pacific Time on Fridays.

2)  REVISED XDI GRAPH PATTERN DOCUMENT

Drummond  uploaded a new version with a new page on XDI synonyms based on the feedback from last week's call.

NOTE THAT THE FIRST LINK BELOW IS CURRENTLY HAVING SERVER PROBLEMS - a copy of the document was also sent as an email attachment to this list (but is not visible on the web yet so we don't have a link yet). Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

  PDF: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/41489/xdi-graph-patterns-2011-03-17.pdf
  PPT: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/41488/xdi-graph-patterns-2011-03-17.pptx

3) NEW SYNONYM PATTERN IN GRAPH NOTATION

We will review the new synonym patterns in the graph notation based on the feedback from the last call.

We discussed the different patterns. Bill said he and Giovanni still prefer using a dedicated $ word for the root context node rather than the () metagraph symbol. Drummond prefers the () metagraph symbol. We agreed that either approach will work; Drummond will provide further arguments about why we should use () because it is the metagraph symbol for context.

We also discussed circular synonyms and how they would be processed in the graph. Bill compared XDI synonyms to soft symbolic links in UNIX: they establish equivalence but if you delete the soft link it does not delete the target resource (deleting a hard symbolic link deletes the target resource).

Drummond agreed and said that the directionality of synonyms in XDI is very important. To keep it simple we need to support directional synonyms and avoid circular references. We agreed more needs to be defined to keep this simple in the XDI 1.0 specs.

4) NEXT CALL

The next call is next week at the regular time.

------------
ONGOING ISSUES LIST

Each of these is a candidate for the agenda for future calls.

* PROPOSED CONSTRUCTS/OPERATORS FOR XDI

Discuss the following wiki page originally posted by Giovanni:

  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiNewFoundation

* DICTIONARY STRUCTURE

Mike would like an example of the PDX dictionary as soon as we can do it.

*   EQUIVALENCE SEMANTICS

Close on whether we need an additional $ word that is the equivalent
of Higgins Personal Data Model (PDM)  semantics   of h:correlation,
which is not as strong as $is.

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00036.html

* COOL URIS

Continue previous discussion about the use of standard RDF URIs in XDI:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00023.html