xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2:30PM PT 2011-04-14

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 14 April 2011 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:30PM Pacific Time (20:00-21:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Giovanni Bartolomeo
Joseph Boyle
Michael Schwartz
Drummond Reed
Bill Barnhill

GUEST

Phil Wolff

THE IDEARPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://xdi.idearpad.org/28

1)  REVISED XDI GRAPH PATTERN DOCUMENT AND CORRESPONDING XDI STATEMENT DOCUMENTS

We reviewed a  new version (2011-04-12) of the XDI Graph Patterns document together  with a second document, XDI Statements for XDI Graph Patterns. The Kavi links for these documents have now been fixed:

  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/41832/xdi-graph-patterns-2011-04-12.pdf
  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/41834/xdi-statements-for-xdi-graph-patterns-2011-04-12.pdf

The changes in this version were to the Link contract and Messaging  patterns to reflect a simpler approach to $do structures -- see topic #3 below.

# DRUMMOND start XDI TC wiki page with XDI messaging examples.

2) $WORDS AND +WORDS

Drummond explained that the semantics of $ words are specied by the XDI TC, whereas the semantics of +words are specfiied by an open community process in which the XDI TC or any other body is just a participant, e.g., a Wikipedia model. This means $ words are very limited set of "reserved words" that are exclusively for specifying either: a) the grammar of the XDI graph model itself, or b) the universal requirements of the XDI protocol.

3) XDI MESSAGING PATTERN

Drummond, Mike, and Yuriy from the OpenXDI Project have spent time on  this over the past week. The OpenXDI wiki has a page showing the first  examples at:

  http://openxdi-wiki.gluu.info/doku.php?id=usecases:poken-high4

We discussed message IDs and message state. Bill explained his rationale for a sequential or predicatable ID for message verification. Drummond shared the view that the minimum requirement is for a unique ID, but not require a more specialized ID.

We agreed that we should experiment with messaging implementation, much as we did two years ago with X3 and Markus Sabadello's XDI4J code base.

Bill noted that there may be encoding issues with some of the data: URIs in these examples. He pointed out the Data URI converter available at:

   http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/cgi/data/data

4) NEXT CALL

Due to workload for the upcoming Internet Identity Workshop, there will NOT be a call next week. The next call will be Thursday April 28 at the regular time.

------------
ONGOING ISSUES LIST

Each of these is a candidate for the agenda for future calls.

* TRANSACTIONAL INTEGRITY FOR XDI (added 2011-03-24)

Since  versioning, as one example, involves multiple transactions that must be  commited as a group, we will need to address transactional integrity.  Specifically, we need to define how this will be handled at the protocol  level, vs. the implementation level.

* PROPOSED CONSTRUCTS/OPERATORS FOR XDI

Discuss the following wiki page originally posted by Giovanni:

  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiNewFoundation

* DICTIONARY STRUCTURE

Mike would like an example of the PDX dictionary as soon as we can do it.

* EQUIVALENCE SEMANTICS

Close on whether we need an additional $ word that is the equivalent
of Higgins Personal Data Model (PDM)  semantics   of h:correlation,
which is not as strong as $is.

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00036.html

* COOL URIS

Continue previous discussion about the use of standard RDF URIs in XDI:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00023.html