xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1:00-2:00PM PT 2011-05-26

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 26 May 2011 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time (20:00-21:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Bill Barnhill
Mike Schwartz
Markus Sabadello
Joseph Boyle
Drummond Reed

THE GOTOMEETING FOR TODAY IS:
     https://www2.gotomeeting.com/join/969244355

THE IDEARPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://xdi.idearpad.org/30

1) UPDATES
We haven't had a call for three weeks, so we started with general updates.

2)  REVISED XDI GRAPH PATTERN DOCUMENT AND CORRESPONDING XDI STATEMENT DOCUMENTS

Scott McGrath fixed the PDF uploads, so below are links to the latest versions of The XDI Graph Model, XDI  Graph Patterns, and XDI Statements for XDI Graph Patterns.

Drummond would like to merge those into one document in advance of beginning our work on the specs (see below).

3) OXGRAPH

  http://openxdi.gluu.info/oxGraph/

Mike said that OpenXDI has implemented the basic operations, i.e., $get, $add, $mod, $del. The most complicated is $del, because it can go through an entire subgraph. $mod was the easiest since you can only update an XDI literal.

The next focus is the server. Mike hopes to have the server out in about two weeks.

Mike gave a demo of OxGraph, and how it worked with the different XDI example graphs. After the server is ready, Mike would like to add support for showing XDI operations in OxGraph.

Markus explained that in his set of XDI utilities, he had two text boxes, one for the graph and one for the message being applied to the graph.

Bill asked about the status of dictionaries. Drummond said he has done work on the basic patterns but that we need to document the core patterns just like the others we have done. Bill suggested that in terms of content, we should look at the several of the most-used RDF ontologies: FOAF and SIOC (pronounced "shock").

4) SPEC DRAFTING

Mike asked about how close we are to formal drafting of 1.0 specs. Drummond offered the opinion that we are pretty close, at least to the XDI Graph Model and XDI Serialization specs, but that the key question is the resource to draft the spec docs themselves. There was wide consensus that the current TC membership is too busy with implementation and business activities to take on major spec drafting activity at this time.

Bill feels that the spec must be as modular as we can make it.

With regards to how we might get more resources to draft the actual spec documents, Drummond offered the view that the core TC members must be involved. Mike said he might be able to get some help from Yuriy on the OpenXDI project.

We discussed the current breakdown on the XdiOneSpec page:

  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiOneSpecs

We agreed that the two most important specs are XDI Messaging and XDI Dictionary. Drummond pointed out that those two specs need the Graph Model and Serialization.

# ALL fill in requirements for the first four specs on http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiOneSpecs.

4) NEXT CALLS

The next call will be next week at the regular time. We also agreed that the call two weeks from now will focus on XDI dictionaries, since we hope Giovanni can attend that call.

------------
ONGOING ISSUES LIST

Each of these is a candidate for the agenda for future calls.

* TRANSACTIONAL INTEGRITY FOR XDI (added 2011-03-24)

Since  versioning, as one example, involves multiple transactions that must be  commited as a group, we will need to address transactional integrity.  Specifically, we need to define how this will be handled at the protocol  level, vs. the implementation level.

* PROPOSED CONSTRUCTS/OPERATORS FOR XDI

Discuss the following wiki page originally posted by Giovanni:

  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiNewFoundation

* DICTIONARY STRUCTURE

Mike would like an example of the PDX dictionary as soon as we can do it.

*   EQUIVALENCE SEMANTICS

Close on whether we need an additional $ word that is the equivalent
of Higgins Personal Data Model (PDM)  semantics   of h:correlation,
which is not as strong as $is.

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00036.html

* COOL URIS

Continue previous discussion about the use of standard RDF URIs in XDI:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00023.html