xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 2011-06-23

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 23 June 2011 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time (20:00-21:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Giovanni Bartolomeo
Drummond Reed
Joseph Boyle

THE IDEARPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://xdi.idearpad.org/33

Please try to preface each of your comments with your name so the
transcription into the minutes is easier.

AGENDA

1) MOVING FROM METAGRAPH SYMBOLS TO METAGRAPH WORDS

See Drummond's email to the list and subsequent discussion:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201106/msg00029.html

Drummond went over the email and the case for returning to the metagraph words $is, $has, and $a in place of $, *, and ! as metagraph predicates.

Giovanni has two potential concerns: 1) he is still worried about the use of $is for both equivalence and inversion, and 2) he is still concerned that there may be too much analogy with English, because the semantics of English and the semantics of XDI are different. An example is RDF, where the semantics are expressed primarily in mathematics. Giovanni feels the focus should be primarily on the model when making this decisions.

Giovanni feels that while we should use English words as the "inspiration" for the choice of a $word, we should not rely on the syntax of English sentences to define the XDI semantics of the term, but rely on the XDI semantic model.

Joseph suggested the option of allowing both metagraph symbols and metagraph words to be used synonymously. Drummond is concerned that if we did this, how we would determine which one is the canonical form, but is open to a proposal as to how to do that.

We concluded that this needs more discussion among the TC members to arrive at consensus.

2) UPDATED LINK CONTRACT PATTERN

After last week's  discussion, Drummond suggested a simpler approach to authority-specific  link contracts. It is now  documented it in the latest XDI Graph Patterns & Statements docs:

  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/42654/xdi-graph-patterns-2011-06-23.pdf
  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/42656/xdi-statements-for-xdi-graph-patterns-2011-06-23.pdf

3) NEXT CALL

The next call is next week at the regular time.

------------
ONGOING ISSUES LIST

Each of these is a candidate for the agenda for future calls.

* TRANSACTIONAL INTEGRITY FOR XDI (added 2011-03-24)

Since  versioning, as one example, involves multiple transactions that must be  commited as a group, we will need to address transactional integrity.  Specifically, we need to define how this will be handled at the protocol  level, vs. the implementation level.

* PROPOSED CONSTRUCTS/OPERATORS FOR XDI

Discuss the following wiki page originally posted by Giovanni:

  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiNewFoundation

* DICTIONARY STRUCTURE

Mike would like an example of the PDX dictionary as soon as we can do it.

*   EQUIVALENCE SEMANTICS

Close on whether we need an additional $ word that is the equivalent
of Higgins Personal Data Model (PDM)  semantics   of h:correlation,
which is not as strong as $is.

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00036.html

* COOL URIS

Continue previous discussion about the use of standard RDF URIs in XDI:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00023.html