xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 2011-07-14

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 14 July 2011 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time (20:00-21:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Giovanni Bartolomeo
Bill Barnhill
Mike Schwartz
Drummond Reed
Joseph Boyle

THE IDEARPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://xdi.idearpad.org/36

1) UPDATE ON OPENXDI PROGRESS

Mike said that the project team finished implementing exclusion (processing of $not statements to exclude portions of the graph for $get requests). He explained that chaining $not (deny) conditions was relatively easy in comparison to chaining $do (allow) link contracts.

2) LINK CONTRACT POLICY EXPRESSION PROPOSAL

Mike sent a message to the list about a proposal for implementing policy expression/evaluation in link contracts:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201107/msg00018.html

Mike explained that the first link contract implementation issue was synonyms between link contracts. Mike showed why the OpenXDI team needed to impose a rule that $is synonyms between $do contexts be canonical references to other link contracts. Drummond explained that this is in fact an ideal example of the need for canonical synonym semantics for $is he explained in a recent email to the list.

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201107/msg00011.html

Mike then walked us through his proposal for conditional statements in a link contract. The proposal includes:

Bill suggested that we consult with Hal Lockhart and Eve Maler because they have been dealing with policy expression languages for a long time. Drummond explained that he had coffee with Eve last week and discussing the intersection of UMA and XDI link contracts. He also thinks the TC should consult with Phil Windley at Kynetx because of the relevance of his KRL (Kynetx Rules Language).

Bill is working on a proposal for evalating conditions and policy expressions that he wants to finish implementing first before introducing. Bill's use cases have been taken from other domains and he is adapting them to XDI messages.

Mike suggested that we borrow as much as we can from LDAP because it has many years of history with attribute comparison (issues such as attribute type, case sensitivity, etc.)

3) LINK CONTRACT REFERENCES IN XDI MESSAGES

We need to close on the format for including the link contract reference in a message. See:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201106/msg00041.html
  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiMessagePatterns

We talked about whether $if statements in link contracts might affect the rule we agreed to last month that the requester must provide a reference to the link contract under which the requester has the rights to the data. Bill felt this is even more relevant because the same data may be available to the same requestor under multiple link contracts and the context may matter from a policy standpoint. Drummond agreed.

# DRUMMOND (and anyone else) - post proposed syntax for link contract references to the XdiMessagePatterns wiki page.

4) NEXT CALL

Drummond will be on vacation next week and not able to attend the call. We decided to skip next week's telecon, so the next call will be Thursday July 28 at the regular time.

------------
ONGOING ISSUES LIST

Each of these is a candidate for the agenda for future calls.

* DO WE NEED SEPARATE METAGRAPH WORDS FOR EQUIVALENCE AND INVERSION? (added 2011-06-30 - Giovanni)

This is an open issue because does not have a direct corallary in RDF.

* SYNONYM HANDLING (added 2011-06-30 - Giovanni)

This remains an open issue because it raises challenges with compatibility with RDF.

* TRANSACTIONAL INTEGRITY FOR XDI (added 2011-03-24)

Since  versioning, as one example, involves multiple transactions that must be  commited as a group, we will need to address transactional integrity.  Specifically, we need to define how this will be handled at the protocol  level, vs. the implementation level.

* PROPOSED CONSTRUCTS/OPERATORS FOR XDI

Discuss the following wiki page originally posted by Giovanni:

  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiNewFoundation

* DICTIONARY STRUCTURE

Mike would like an example of the PDX dictionary as soon as we can do it.

*   EQUIVALENCE SEMANTICS

Close on whether we need an additional $ word that is the equivalent
of Higgins Personal Data Model (PDM)  semantics   of h:correlation,
which is not as strong as $is.

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00036.html

* COOL URIS

Continue previous discussion about the use of standard RDF URIs in XDI:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00023.html