xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 2011-07-28

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 28 July 2011 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time (20:00-21:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Giovanni Bartolomeo
Drummond Reed
Markus Sabadello
Mike Schwartz

REGRETS

Bill Barnhill

GUESTS

Jay Glasgow

THE IDEARPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://xdi.idearpad.org/37

1) UPDATES

Mike said that the OpenXDI team updated the URL for the OpenXDI project to:

  http://ox.gluu.org

He said the OX Ruby port is done. It was relatively straightforward, although required rewriting a number of methods that could not be exported. The next highest priority implementation is Javascript. Then they want to do integration with Diaspora, followed by Python and PHP.

The roadmap for the server is to finish link contracts, then choose one of the 3 options for authentication (PKI, SAML, OpenID).

Jay gave a general update about progress on innovations that he is close to at AT&T. He said that these could significantly reduce the workload on certain components used by identity providers in an open identity ecosystem. He also has been architecting AT&T systems so they can have compability with open standards like XDI. He feels that the evolution of the right trust frameworks can help significantly.

2) PROGRESS ON LINK CONTRACTS

Mike ran us through a status report on the OpenXDI implementation of link contracts using the OX wiki page on the subject:

  http://ox.gluu.org/doku.php?id=linkcontracts

They decided to implement condition expressions in Javascript, using a tool called Rhino. They looked at Python, Ruby, Groovy, and other options, but decided that Javascript was the best choice.

Mike suggested that Scala may have certain advantages for implementing this.

Mike  suggested that TC members read through the page to see the different  issues and recommendations that the OpenXDI team is developing as they  implement.

Drummond then quickly ran through a proposal he sent to the list for replacing $condition with $true and $false, and then allowing $true, $false, $and, and $or contexts to be nested in any configuration to any depth under a $if node to create a logic tree for evaluating policy conditions.

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201107/msg00024.html

We then talked about how link contract vocabulary is likely to evolve. We agreed it was important to begin implementing it to prove it out, and that we will most likely have several versions of the link contract vocabulary over time. This will force us to deal with the interoperability issues over time, but this is true of every standard.

Mike made the point that it is as important to have tools for creating and editing policies as it is for executing the policies, so OX needs to focus on these as well.

3) ROADMAP DISCUSSION

We had a short discussion about the release/marketing roadmap for XDI as we proceed with the specs and implementation. Jay offered the suggestion that past perceptions of XDI are a hurdle that needs to be overcome but not a barrier to longer term adoption if XDI can deliver on its promise of interoperable data sharing, and in particular on interoperable authorization via link contracts.

4) METAGRAPH MODEL

Drummond did not have time to writeup his thoughts on the metagraph model yet, but plans to do that over the weekend. He will put it on the agenda for next week's telecon.

5) LINK CONTRACT REFERENCE IN XDI MESSAGES

We still need to close on the format for including the link contract reference in an XDI message. See:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201106/msg00041.html
  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiMessagePatterns

5) NEXT CALL

Due to a conference next Thursday, we will move next week's telecon to Friday Aug 5  at the regular time. Drummond will send out a reminder.

Mike asked to put the subject of OWL compatability on the agenda.

------------
ONGOING ISSUES LIST

Each of these is a candidate for the agenda for future calls.

* DO WE NEED SEPARATE METAGRAPH WORDS FOR EQUIVALENCE AND INVERSION? (added 2011-06-30 - Giovanni)

This is an open issue because does not have a direct corallary in RDF.

* SYNONYM HANDLING (added 2011-06-30 - Giovanni)

This remains an open issue because it raises challenges with compatibility with RDF.

* TRANSACTIONAL INTEGRITY FOR XDI (added 2011-03-24)

Since  versioning, as one example, involves multiple transactions that must be  commited as a group, we will need to address transactional integrity.  Specifically, we need to define how this will be handled at the protocol  level, vs. the implementation level.

* PROPOSED CONSTRUCTS/OPERATORS FOR XDI

Discuss the following wiki page originally posted by Giovanni:

  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiNewFoundation

* DICTIONARY STRUCTURE

Mike would like an example of the PDX dictionary as soon as we can do it.

*   EQUIVALENCE SEMANTICS

Close on whether we need an additional $ word that is the equivalent
of Higgins Personal Data Model (PDM)  semantics of h:correlation,
which is not as strong as $is.

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00036.html

* COOL URIS

Continue previous discussion about the use of standard RDF URIs in XDI:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00023.html