xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 2011-09-08

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 08 September 2011 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time (20:00-21:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Giovanni Bartolomeo
Drummond Reed
Mike Schwartz
Markus Sabadello

THE IDEARPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://xdi.idearpad.org/40

1) GENERAL UPDATES

Drummond gave two updates about his upcoming participation in the Sibos worldwide banking conference week after next (Sept 19-23) in Toronto. First, he'll be speaking about XDI, the XDI graph model, and link contracts on the Standards Forum session called, "Are Messages the Only Answer?"

Secondly, he and others including Craig Burton will be speaking in the Digital Identity stream about how SWIFT can be using XDI to expand the potential of their current financial messaging network.

Mike gave the update that Gluu has been approved as an i-broker by XDI.org, and is now implementing an XRI registration service.

Drummond gave another update that Nat Sakimura, one of the directors of XDI.org and also an OpenID Foundation board member and active OpenID spec editor, recently contacted the XDI.org board about the pending need to upgrade the current requirement for the GRS to support XRDS resolution to add support for SWD (Simple Web Discovery) protocol as specified by the upcoming OpenID Connect Simple Web Discovery specification, which Nat expects to be ratified soon:

  http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-jones-simple-web-discovery-00.html

This led to a discussion about the need to specify XDI discovery sooner than later (see below).

2) OPENXDI PROJECT UPDATE

Mike gave an update of the key progress in the OpenXDI project. One of the major areas of work has been persistence. He demonstrated how OpenXDI is implementing persistence by mapping every XDI node to an LDAP node. Every XDI relational arc is mapped as an attribute of the source node and the target node.

The good news is that this will deal with scaling and performance issues; the bad news is that it will take several weeks to refactor earlier code to use this persistence model.

Mike said that they plan also to launch an OAuth project in parallel.

3) WORKFLOW FOR XDI RESOLUTION

We have had pending for several months the need to define: a) a standard XRI (and URI) to identify an XDI service endpoint (for use with XRDS, XRD, and SWD discovery protocols), and b) an XDI-based discovery protocol. The need to support each of these is:

What we need to do to support each of these discovery mechanisms:

Mike asked about support in existing XRI and XDI infrastructure such as the XDI.org GRS (Global Registry Service). Drummond said the GRS should support all these discovery mechanisms because it is the #1 point where intereoprerability is needed.

However there may be political challenges to how soon infrastructure can be upgraded.

Drummond explained that from an XDI standpoint, discovery is essentially a matter of resolving XDI statements where the subject is the XRI, the predicate is the XRI identifying the service endpoint URI type, and the object is the concrete URI of the next endpoint in the discovery chain.

He explained that earlier discussions had focused on using $uri as a complex property, where multiple types, instances, and ordering of concrete URIs were all handled using standard XDI complex property patterns.

Mike pointed out that for public discovery information, we also need to define the $public link contract.

# MIKE AND DRUMMOND to draft a proposal page on the XDI TC wiki covering all of this.

4) NEXT CALL

Drummond has conflicts the next two weeks due to the Sibos banking conference in Toronto Sept 19-23. We set the next call for the standard time on Thursday Sept 29.

------------
ONGOING ISSUES LIST

Each of these is a candidate for the agenda for future calls.

* DO WE NEED SEPARATE METAGRAPH WORDS FOR EQUIVALENCE AND INVERSION? (added 2011-06-30 - Giovanni)

This is an open issue because algorithmic inversion does not have a direct corallary in RDF.

* SYNONYM HANDLING (added 2011-06-30 - Giovanni)

This remains an open issue because it raises challenges with compatibility with RDF.

* TRANSACTIONAL INTEGRITY FOR XDI (added 2011-03-24)

Since  versioning, as one example, involves multiple transactions that must be  commited as a group, we will need to address transactional integrity.  Specifically, we need to define how this will be handled at the protocol  level, vs. the implementation level.

* PROPOSED CONSTRUCTS/OPERATORS FOR XDI

Discuss the following wiki page originally posted by Giovanni:

  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiNewFoundation

* DICTIONARY STRUCTURE

Mike would like an example of the PDX dictionary as soon as we can do it.

*   EQUIVALENCE SEMANTICS

Close on whether we need an additional $ word that is the equivalent
of Higgins Personal Data Model (PDM)  semantics of h:correlation,
which is not as strong as $is.

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00036.html

* COOL URIS

Continue previous discussion about the use of standard RDF URIs in XDI:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201006/msg00023.htm