xdi message

Subject: Interesting development: UK gov launches "midata" data giveback program

This was just posted today to the VRM mailing list. Note that the article it references contains this quote:

The government is promising "protocols" to handle any privacy or consumer protection issues - but also stressing that this is a private sector initiative and it will not be hamstrung by rules and regulations.
I don't know what "protocols" they are referring to, but I sure know one that fits ;-)

=Drummond

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: William Heath <wmheath@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM
Subject: [projectvrm] UK gov launches "midata" data giveback program
To: ProjectVRM list <projectvrm@eon.law.harvard.edu>

This is pretty cool - the UK forerunner to the US "Smart Disclosure"
initiative. Essential VRM building block I reckon.    William

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15580059

It could deliver huge growth potential to the British economy while
transforming the relationship between consumers and corporations.

Nothing trivial, then, about the claims being made by the government
about its midata project.

The plan is to release all sorts of data held by private businesses
back to consumers - but the challenge is going to be explaining to the
public just why this is so exciting.

"It can sound a bit geeky," admitted Professor Nigel Shadbolt, the man
trying to push through the government's open data agenda. "But it's
about getting the information that companies hold about me and you
back to you in a form you can use."

The plan is that all sorts of companies will make their data
available, and then other firms will help consumers to manage it and
build useful applications and services on the back of it.....