xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1:00-2:00PM PT 2011-12-08

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 08 December 2011 USA
Time:  1:00PM - 2:00PM Pacific Time (20:00-21:30 UTC)

ATTENDANCE

Mike Schwartz
Drummond Reed

THE IDEARPAD LINK FOR TODAY IS:
     http://xdi.idearpad.org/47

1) IDTRUST BUDGET

Update from Mike Schwartz and Markus Sabadello. See:

  http://ox.gluu.org/doku.php?id=idtrust:proposal

2) OPENXDI AND IDCUBED UPDATE

Drummond reviewed with Mike a set of slides summarizing what Gluu and OpenXDI have developed for the Mustard Seed project. Drummond feels it is a very clean and elegant design that makes very good use of the XDI graph model.

3) ROOT NODES & GRAPH NODES

Drummond shared some new thoughts regarding how one XDI graph can reference another. His proposal is not a change to the XDI graph model, only to the notational convention we have had for the past year that XDI graphs contain only one open circle node representing the root node. Under this new proposal, an XDI graph could contain multiple open circle nodes. A simple way to think about it is "forests" and "trees". Open circle nodes represent forests (other XDI graphs). Closed circle nodes represent trees (context nodes within the current XDI graph).

The rules for open circle nodes are very simple:
  1) Only open circles can contain open circles (i.e., a forest can can contain another forest, but a tree cannot contain a forest).
  2) The XDI address of any open circle MUST be an XRI cross-reference, because it represents the address of another graph.

This actually fits perfectly with everything we have defined so far about XDI discovery, and makes it clearer how discovery of the endpoint for accessing any other XDI graph would take place.

# DRUMMOND to write up an XDI TC wiki page further describing this proposal.

4) NEXT CALL

Mike and Drummond proposed that we hold the next two calls before the Christmas holiday, then skip the call between Christmas and New Years.