xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 2011-12-15

3) BOOTSTRAP PERMISSIONING ISSUE

Mike explained that one issue the OpenXDI team has been debating is how to
bootstrap the root link contract. Mike favors allowing self-referential
link contracts implicitly. Drummond pointed out that while this may make
sense for root nodes, it doesn't work for deeper nodes because there are
too many examples where the XRI used to identify a node inside another
context would not give the authority represented by that XRI permission to
edit that branch of the graph.

For example, if =drummond graph stores an =mike node (contextually
producing the XDI address =drummond=mike), that does not mean =mike has
permission to edit the branch at that node. That branch may simply be
storing =drummond's notes about =mike, which only =drummond can edit (or
give a link contract to edit).

Drummond does favor a compact form of link contract that expresses a $all
or $do$all permission for the authority identified by a context node.

# ALL: Work on suggestions for how to express such a compact
self-referential link contract.

To clarify, the example above, =mike would not be able to access =drummond=mike without a link contract. The question I was posing is if =drummond could edit =mike without a link contract. I think yes, because =drummond owns the graph, so he should have super-user priviledges to manage his own graph.

After discussing it, I think we should take Markus' suggestion and use a standard link contract for self-modification. How about $self$do ? This link contract would not have to exist, similar to the design for $public$do.

- Mike